The Police has arrested two men for suspected robbery at Hougang and charged in court today.
On Tuesday (30 August), a 62-year-old man reported that he was robbed of a S$10,000 cash, a gold chain, and a mobile phone, at Block 2, Hougang Avenue 3 on Tuesday around midnight.
Two men, aged 31 and 33 were arrested after police established their identities through their investigation, at Blk.115 Bedok North Road at 4.35 pm.
About S$8,000 cash were found on them and kept by the police, but there is no information on the whereabouts of the gold chain and the mobile phone.
The Police said the men will be charged in court on Saturday with robbery. If found guilty, they may be jailed between three to 14 years and given no less than 12 cane strokes.
The police advise the public to adopt the following crime prevention measures to avoid falling prey to robbers:
- Remain alert to your surroundings, and be wary of suspicious people nearby.
- Avoid obvious displays of wealth, like wearing expensive jewellery or showing large amounts of cash in public.
- When returning home alone or late at night, try to arrange for a family member or trusted friend to escort you home.
- If you suspect that you are being followed, remain calm, try to go to a crowded area or/and call the police for assistance.
- Avoid walking through dimly-lit, quiet and secluded places.
- Carry a shrill alarm to sound for help.
- If challanged by a thief, do not fight but stay calm and try to take note of his or her appearance, clothing, height, or any other distinctive physical features. Call the police as soon as possible afterward, so that officers can reach the location quickly to assist.