Chinatown Point was filled with smoke on Sunday (3 March) when an electrical wiring at the third-floor escalator landing caught fire.
Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) stated that it was alerted to the fire at about 3 pm and dispatched two fire engines, two Red Rhinos and two support vehicles. Its firefighters at the scene, extinguished the fire using a water jet.
SCDF also stated that no one was injured during the incident.
Chinatown Point is managed by Perennial Real Estate.
The spokesperson said that preliminary investigations showed electrical wiring in the motor of the Schindler escalator was burnt, adding that the escalators at the mall are serviced monthly and the affected escalator last underwent maintenance on 15 February.
The spokesperson also said that a detailed investigation will be carried out jointly with Schindler. In the meantime, the affected escalator has been put out of service and blocked off for access. The management will also put up signs to inform patrons that it is out of service.
The affected escalator has been put out of service and blocked off for access. The management will also put up signs to inform patrons that it is out of service.
The fire was put out at around 3.45 pm and the businesses went back to normal. As a form of precaution, SCDF officers went inspecting the escalator landing with torches.
Straits Times cited a tour guide Andy Yuan, 33 who claims that he tried to activate the fire alarm by smashing the glass and hitting the button several times as the fire alarms were not activated, despite the fact that the whole building was filled with smoke.
“People headed for the exits automatically when they saw the commotion,” the tour guide said.
Eyewitnesses also stated that they did not hear any announcements to evacuate.
A Facebook user, John Ho, said that there was a lot of smoke. However, he could not see the fire.
Mr John also posted a picture of fire engines parked in front of the mall.