A former political desk journalist of The Straits Times (ST) shared her past working experience in ST on Facebook, revealing how mainstream media reporters are being restricted when writing about the alternative parties’ candidates.

She recounted in her Facebook post – which is only visible to her friends – on Saturday (4 July) that there are good candidates from the alternative parties but mainstream media reporters are “not allowed to report on good opposition candidates” or “highlight anything good about them”.

“I get super worked up when I hear people say ‘opposition candidates are not good’. I also feel bad because as a journalist on the Straits Times political desk, I was part of the media machinery that helped perpetuate this image,” she wrote.

According to her, they were encouraged to cover news on the “silly minor things” that made the alternative parties “look bad” instead, such as photos of them with “eyes half-closed, mouth open, looking sweaty” and others.

The mainstream media had “played up a lot” of the “real nutjobs” that emerged during elections just to build the perceptions that the alternative parties are “ridiculous” and have “no real candidates”.

“If you still feel that way, it means you fell for the ploy,” said the former ST reporter, who has since left journalism.

In the past she also shared about her preferred candidate from an alternative party, who contested in the 1997 General Election (GE) and whose candidacy she covered.

“If you’ve never heard of him and still think ‘opposition’ never had good people… well, that’s thanks to mainstream media,” she added.

The politician passed away last year.

She noted that she had “tried her best” to give his party a “fair coverage” and once managed to get a full-page coverage for his team which was published. But the editors had to “scramble” to explain to the “higher-ups” on why the alternatives’ candidates were given so much coverage, she shared in her post.

The editors also explained to reporters in “seemingly-logical language” that “coverage of parties must be proportionate to the number of MPs [Members of Parliament] they had in Government”, she said.

“Meaning it is totally fair for opposition candidates to get little to no coverage.”

 

Disheartened by the editors’ explanation, she decided to move to another newsdesk. She mentioned in her post that many of the ST’s journalists had tried to “challenge the rules”.

“I tried. Many of us tried, constantly doing small things to challenge the ‘rules’. Most of us have left ST,” she stated. “That’s why I am so happy that with social media, there’s little room for censorship. Because someone else will have a record of what really happened and a platform to share it on.”

Thus, she urged people to vote for the Party that they think can ensure their views are being “respected” and “represented in Parliament” and not depend on mainstream media to report fairly.

“If you’re still unsure about who to vote for in this election, the last thing you should trust is what the mainstream media is telling you,” she noted.

Subscribe
Notify of
13 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

月薪1千500元外籍配偶忧失工作 质疑没雇主愿出更高薪聘雇本地人

本月3日,人力部长杨莉明在国会宣布,从5月1日起,直系亲属证(dependent pass,简称DP)持有者如果有意在本地工作,将必须申请正式的工作准证。 她指出,在所有工作准证持有者(WP)中,申请工作的直系亲属证持有者仅占其中的1%。目前持有工作准证的DP持有者仍可继续工作,直到工作准证到期为止。 若雇主还有意继续聘请他们,则需要向人力部申请适用的工作准证。 英语媒体《今日报》,周日(14日)就报导,一些外籍伴侣对于上述政策更动感到不安。其中一名印度籍的直系亲属巴特尔(Patel),在接受采访时称他可能为此失去工作。 他称,他须在五月更新直系亲属证,但是他的雇主可能不会再继续聘用他,这可能是因为雇主公司的外籍雇员配额已满,若他们不聘用更多本地人,将无法再申请新的工作准证。 巴特尔透露他本身属“必要领域”工友,特别是在阻断措施期间,确保本地食品供应不中断。但政策的改变令她感到些许失望,因为过去的努力似乎遭忽略。 他在该公司月薪达1千500新元,这肯定也无法达到特别准证(S pass)的条件,因为特别准证的薪资条件需达到2500元以上。 不过,巴特尔质疑,雇主是否能以月薪1500元,聘请到本地人接替他的岗位,“没公司肯出更多聘雇本地人。” 至于其他直系亲属证持有者,则表示政策更动可能迫使他们离开新加坡,她们认为原本她们可以付出劳力,但如今却只能当家庭主妇。 本月9日,则有新加坡国际商会的总监Victor…

卖毛巾养二残疾妹 网民纷支持摊主谢绝捐款

有网民在脸书分享,如果要买毛巾和手帕,不妨光顾牛车水大厦底层第183号摊位,因为55岁的摊主熊宝明,靠卖毛巾挣钱照顾两名残疾妹妹。 贴文提到由于牛车水大厦将在三月开始进行关闭进行装修,为期三个月,为此担忧熊宝明这段期间收入受影响,故此呼吁大家多多支持熊宝明,向他购买价格公道的毛巾,让他有更多收入度过艰难。 有关毛巾摊位原本是熊宝明的父亲熊义聪经营,后来不幸中风于10年前过世后,摊位生意就传承给熊宝明。 熊宝明的两位妹妹一出生就患有肌肉萎缩症,49岁妹妹生来哑巴又瘫痪,目前住疗养院;51岁妹妹则和哥哥同住牛车水组屋。 上述贴文发出后,迄今已累计近9千次分享,一些网民也留言表示,时常光顾熊宝明的毛巾摊,呼吁大家多多去光顾。有者甚至建议帮忙摊主在网络宣传售卖,增加生意量。 根据《联合早报》报导,民众踊跃前往拜访熊宝明,也有民众要捐钱给他,不过熊宝明再三谢谢大家的关心,也坚持只卖毛巾谢绝捐款。 他告诉记者,家里还有多个手足,他们都关心妹妹,只是大家都有工作和家庭,才由单身的他照料妹妹。

长期未进食且饱受压力 失踪爱尔兰少女证实死于饥饿

爱尔兰少女诺拉艾妮的验尸报告出炉,她证实是死于饥饿。 森美兰州总警长拿督莫哈末尤索夫指出,相信少女在被搜救人员寻获前的两三天,就已经死亡了。 他指出,验尸报告指出少女身上没有被强奸,或被绑架的迹象,仅有手上的小伤痕。 “她的死因是肠道破裂,这可能是因为她长期没有进食,且面对长期压力。” 尤索夫今天(8月15日)在森美兰周警察总部的新闻发布会上,如此指出。 验尸过程耗将近10小时 于昨日(14日)上午11时45分开始的验尸行动,由吉隆坡中央医院(HKL)法医医生邵雪峯(Siew Sheue Feng)以及芙蓉市端姑查法医院(HTJ)的哈尼夫莫哈玛博士(Hanif Mohammad)操刀,耗费约10小时,到晚上9时结束。 他们获得八打灵再也化学分部及法医部门的专家协助。 诺拉艾琳是Sebastien夫妇三个孩子中的长女。他们于8月2日抵达马来西亚,打算展开为期两周的旅游假期。他们当时入住了森美兰州芙蓉的一间豪华度假屋。岂料,艾琳则在隔日早上,被其胞妹发现失踪了。…

Qantas Airline cuts all international flights due to COVID-19 pandemic

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Australia’s biggest airline Qantas mentioned on…