It was reported on Monday (5 Apr) that Singapore mainstream media has largely remained silent over Leong Sze Hian’s crowdfunding success to raise the full damages awarded by the Singapore High Court to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong over the span of just 11 days.
Rather than publishing the news on its main newspapers, SPH has chosen to post the news on its AsiaOne online platform (‘Singapore blogger crowdfunds $99k to pay PM damages in defamation case‘).
Mr Leong, a financial advisor and blogger, initiated his crowdfunding effort on 25 March after the High Court ordered a sum of S$133,000 to be paid to PM Lee for the defamation suit brought against him by PM Lee.
He was able to raise the amount, thanks to the support from the public. However, he would still need to pay for the various cost stemming from legal cost and court fees.
While the local media in Singapore are reluctant to publicise the news of Mr Leong’s success in raising the S$133,000 from the Singaporean public too much, it has been picked up by news outlets worldwide:
- Bloomberg – Singapore Blogger Crowdfunds $100,000 to Pay PM Defamation Award
- The Star, Malaysia – Singapore blogger crowdfunds US$99,000 to pay PM damages in defamation case
- Reuters – Singapore blogger crowdfunds $99,000 to pay PM damages in defamation case
- Asia Times, HK – Singaporeans standing up to Lee’s libel lawfare
- South China Morning Post, HK – Singapore opposition politician ordered to pay PM Lee Hsien Loong US$99,000 in defamation case
- Le Figaro, France – Singapour : un blogueur réunit les 84.000 euros de dommages et intérêts qu’il doit au premier ministre via une cagnotte (Singapore: blogger collects 84,000 euros in damages he owes to Prime Minister)
- Yahoo! – Singapore blogger crowdfunds S$133,000 to pay PM defamation award
- Jakarta Post, Indonesia – Singapore blogger crowdfunds $100,000 to pay defamation damages
- Pune Mirror, India – Sued by Singapore PM, blogger collects $1L online to pay damages
- The Tribune, India – Singapore blogger crowdfunds $99,000 to pay PM damages in defamation case
- New Indian Express, India – Singapore blogger crowdfunds USD 100,000 to pay defamation damages to PM Lee Hsien Loong
- Bangkok Post, Thailand – Singapore blogger ordered to pay B3.1m for defaming PM
- Barron’s, US – Singapore Blogger Crowdfunds $100,000 To Pay PM Defamation Damages
- KELO Newstalk, US – Singapore blogger crowdfunds $99,000 to pay PM damages in defamation case
- US News – Singapore Blogger Crowdfunds $99,000 to Pay PM Damages in Defamation Case
- Express Tribune, Pakistan – Singapore blogger crowdfunds $99,000 to pay PM damages in defamation case
- Wion News, India – Singapore blogger crowdfunds S$133,000 for PM Loong’s defamation award
- NDTV, India – “We Hit 133k”: Sued By Singapore PM, Blogger Crowdfunds To Pay Damages
- Dubai Eye, UAE – SINGAPORE BLOGGER CROWDFUNDS $99,000 TO PAY PM DAMAGES IN DEFAMATION CASE
- British Herald, UK – Singapore Blogger Starts Crowdfunding $99,000 To Pay PM Damages Over Defamation Case
What’s more, it is noteworthy that international news agency Bloomberg said in its article that it has reached out to PM Lee but “the Prime Minister’s Office declined to comment”.