KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA — The founder of sugar dating platform Sugarbook, Darren Chan, was arrested by the police on Wednesday (17 Feb) on suspicion of soliciting for prostitution and abusing network facilities.

Selangor police CID chief SAC Datuk Fadzil Ahmat on Thursday (18 Feb) confirmed that the 34-year-old suspect was held at the Icon Residence in Mont Kiara at about 4.30pm yesterday by the police, according to The Sun Daily.

Fadzil said that Mr Chan will be brought to the Shah Alam Court today for remand over investigations launched under laws of the Penal Code related to soliciting for prostitution and for publishing a statement or rumour with intent to cause fear or alarm to the public.

The Penang-born suspect is also being probed under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act (CMA) for misuse of network facilities.

Founded in 2017, Sugarbook describes itself as a platform where “romance meets finance”, and is dubbed as Asia’s most critically-acclaimed online dating brand.

The company came into the crosshairs of the Malaysian authorities recently when it recently published figures from its Malaysian users database, claiming that there has been an increasing number of sugar babies among the local university students who have been using the app to seek financial support from sugar daddies, especially during this trying COVID-19 pandemic.

The infographics, similar to the ones previously catered for Singapore universities, were widely circulated on social media, and also picked up by the local media.

Sunway University topped the list with more than 21 per cent of the 14,433 students of the 10 universities who were purportedly signed up as sugar babies on the platform.

Source: Sugarbook

Sunway Education Group CEO, director of the Ministry of Higher Education, politicians, and activists voiced their concerns on the matter

Following this, Sunway Education Group chief executive officer Prof Dr Elizabeth Lee called Sugarbook out for being “irresponsible” in willing to “tarnish the good and sincere work of so many young minds” for its “own profit and gain” in these challenging times.

“We are truly disappointed with a recent article about a company that challenges the moral fabric of our community and of our youth, while aiming to promote and profit from immoral and possibly illegal activity,” said Prof Lee in a statement on 10 February.

“While we do not wish to reproduce the article, suffice to say that it unjustly casts aspersions on the morality and decency of our students and the wider education community,” she added.

Meanwhile, Prof Datuk Dr Husaini Omar, the director of the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), explained in a statement that the learning institutions believe that the data published by Sugarbook is questionable.

“Sunway Education Group stated that it was impossible 45% of current Sunway University students are involved as sugar babies. This is because there are currently only 7,000 students enrolled at Sunway University. Therefore, the report that was published by the media stating that as many as 3,105 students from Sunway University are sugar babies is just absurd,” he noted.

Several Malaysian politicians and activists have also voiced their concerns on the matter, many of whom called for the sugar dating platform to be banned.

Malaysian authorities blocked access to Sugarbook website

Earlier on Monday (15 Feb), the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) blocked access to Sugarbook website for allegedly breaching the law on the use of network facilities or network services, as reported by The Star.

This came after the MCMC issued a statement warning users against the service, stating that action would be taken if the authorities detected elements of prostitution.

“MCMC is concerned about the recent marketing gimmick by dating site Sugarbook which claimed that many Malaysian women, especially university students have offered themselves as ‘Sugar Baby’ on the application,” said the Commission in its statement.

“Such claims should be investigated because the user profiles could be manipulated to deceive victims,” it added.

Sugarbook changed its web address to circumvent the block

Interestingly, barely 24 hours after the website was blocked, Sugarbook proceeded to change its website URL to www.sucrebook.com, allowing its users to bypass the Government-imposed ban on its initial main website.

For those who are curious about the name of the alternate website, ‘sucre‘ is French for sugar.

The company also announced to its users on the app regarding the new official website.

What’s more, Sugarbook even sent out an email to its users with instructions on how to circumvent the block.

At the time of writing, both the websites are inaccessible in Malaysia.

Sugarbook is taking strict measures to ensure the ban does not happen in other countries, says Darren Chan

Prior to his arrest, Mr Chan released a statement on Tuesday (16 Feb) in response to the ban as well as the decision to change Sugarbook’s web address.

“You may have heard about the ban on Sugarbook in Malaysia. I’m sorry that we’re not in a position to do more at this time. We have a responsibility to help you with building modern relationships. If we cannot deliver, then we are not worthy to serve you,” he wrote.

Mr Chan went on to say that Sugarbook is “taking strict measures” to ensure the ban does not take place in other countries that the company operates.

“We believe that our Malaysian government knows what’s best for the people and acted in good faith,” he added.

Mr Chan concluded his statement thanking all those who believe in Sugarbook’s mission, and helped build its community to what it is today.

 

Read: Number Of Sugar Baby Signups From Singaporean Universities On The Rise Due To Increasing University Fees | Interview With Sugar Baby: Sugar Dating Is Strictly Not Prostitution But A Choice Of Lifestyle

Subscribe
Notify of
7 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Chua Mui Hoong says that HDB buyers have a ‘special relationship based on trust’ with the PAP — Is she missing the point?

On Sunday (9 Sep), Straits Times Opinion Editor Chua Mui Hoong wrote…

香港反送中:女示威者成歧视对象 性别和穿着易成攻击目标

香港反修订《逃犯条例》持续恶化,尤其是警民关系逐渐撕裂,自示威运动举办以来,港警涉及过度镇压的手法已让港人与全球诟病,近期警也屡次传出涉及对女示威者作出性暴力霸凌的行为,包括强扯衣服、要求示威者裸身搜查等。 对此,法新社报道,女示威者在过去数个月以来的示威运动中,不断在网路上遭受一系列的性别攻击与歧视。有女示威者的照片在支持港警的脸书专页上疯传,举着“我没有穿着内裤”。当事人Mickey(译名)表示原图其实是,她举着“我是中学生”的牌子,却被篡改成另一个版本,而且被发布到网络上疯传。 “他们并不是针对我的观点或其他,而他们攻击我纯粹因为我是一个女生“,Mickey表示。据Mickey的猜测,散播歧视照片的人与亲北京的香港人有关。 另一名女示威者也遭受类似的歧视,表示自己被警方拘捕的过程中被拍下照片,但照片在经过串改后,以“乳头”走光照被散布在网络上。 香港维权人士兼歌手何韵诗也表示,他自己在脸书上成为性别歧视的攻击对象,认为攻击他的人已经“忽视他的意愿与愿景,仅仅聚焦在他的外表和穿着进行人身攻击。 这些经历被性别歧视的女示威者均指向亲北京的支持者是示威运动中发动性别歧视的始作俑者。他们补充道,自中央政府表明对示威运动的态度后,其攻击更变本加厉。 上周三,当地妇女组织平等机会妇女联席举办“反送中 #metoo 集会”,逾三万人参加,现场充满一篇紫光,抗议警方性暴力镇压示威者。关注妇女性暴力协会表示,网络骚扰已然成为伤害女性的武器。 29岁的Laurel Cho女记者向法新社透露,他在香港报道示威运动期间,经常收到恶意留言或攻击。 “他们经常用妓女、淫妇、婊子这样的词语”她表示。 她续指,推特上出现一则呼吁网友回避亚籍女性记者(包括她)的帖文,意味着女性已然成为运动中不公平对待的对象,这不仅仅是性别,更是涉及了种族歧视。…

【2020财政预算案】明年一月起购电动汽车 可获高达45巴仙回扣

明年一月起,购买全电动汽车和德士的额外注册费,可获得高达45巴仙的回扣。 副总理兼财政部长王瑞杰于国会上公布新财政预算案时宣布,为了到2040年全面淘汰内燃引擎交通工具,政府推出三项方案: 政府将为轻型货车推出“商用车减排税务计划”;而购买全电动的车辆或德士的人士,在缴交”汽车附加注册费”时将享有45巴仙的津贴,最高可获两万元回扣。优惠将从2021年开始落实,为其三年。 将扩大电动汽车充电基础设施,目前我国有1千600个电动车充电点,而我国期望在2030年能够将充电点扩大至2万8千个充电点。 政府带头逐渐开始采购和使用环保交通工具。 王瑞杰说,政府将从明年1月起,在三年内分阶段对电动车辆征收一次性的路税,一些电动汽车车主需缴付的路税会更高,不过由于有了电动汽车附加注册费优惠,车主仍然可以节省一笔费用。 然而,王瑞杰也透露,燃油消费目前为我国带来至少10亿元的收入,但逐渐被电动车取代,因此,电动车辆不需要支付燃油消费税,就需要更新目前的交通税框架。 对此,政府将在明年1月起,为电动汽车征收一次性支付的路税。但距离我国全面采用该新系统仍有几年的差距,因此,政府将在这段过度期间,改以一次性征税的形式来弥补日后所失的燃油税,并于明年1月至2023年1月份段实施,不过,电动车车主仍能通过电动车附加注册费优惠计划,省下不少成本费用。

NZ bans travel from India while SG opens borders despite large number of imported Covid cases

Last Thursday (8 Apr), New Zealand decided to ban all flights from…