September, 2018 – Vladivostok, Primorsky Krai – Chairman of the People’s Republic of China Xi Jinping’s Quit at the Eastern Economic Forum in Vladivostok (Photo by Alexander Khitrov from Shutterstock).

China said Wednesday it has revoked the press credentials of three Wall Street Journal reporters over an editorial headline it deemed racist, with the newspaper adding they had been ordered to leave in five days.

The expulsion, one of its harshest moves against foreign media in recent years, came as Beijing also slammed Washington’s decision to tighten rules on Chinese state media organisations in the US, calling the move “unreasonable and unacceptable.”

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said the Journal editorial — which was titled “China is the Real Sick Man of Asia” — had a “racially discriminatory” and “sensational” headline, and slammed the newspaper for not issuing an official apology.

“As such, China has decided that from today, the press cards of three Wall Street Journal reporters in Beijing will be revoked,” Geng told a press briefing.

The Journal reported that deputy bureau chief Josh Chin and reporter Chao Deng, both US nationals, as well as reporter Philip Wen, an Australian, had been ordered to leave the country in five days.

The editorial, written by Bard College professor Walter Russell Mead, also criticised the Chinese government’s initial response to the new coronavirus outbreak — calling the Wuhan city government at the virus epicentre “secretive and self-serving”, while dismissing national efforts as ineffective.

The February 3 piece “slandered the efforts of the Chinese government and the Chinese people to fight the epidemic”, said Geng.

The new coronavirus epidemic has killed over 2,000 people in China and infected more than 74,000, and has spread to at least two dozen countries around the world.

– AFP

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

陈振声重申为国人创造商机、就业机会 樟宜机场第五航厦等工程继续

续总理李显龙、国家发展部长黄循财和国务资政兼国家安全统筹部长张志贤,轮到贸工部长陈振声于今晚(6月14日)发表演说。 陈振声在演说时称,面对冠状病毒19疫情,政府继续投资在国人和企业,协助创造商机和就业机会。一些行业也需改变经营模式。 他也称政府对于那些待经济复苏的企业,如物流业和专业服务领域,将协助提前雇用、培训毕业生及中途转业人士。 每个市镇也会设立就业中心,为失业人士进行职业配对。 在疫情下,他强调扩大贸易联系同时,也需要投资和扩建基础建设,加强与全球衔接,以巩固我国作为全球商业、金融、贸易和数据流通枢纽的地位。 再者,陈振声指一些大方向不会改变,例如樟宜机场第五搭客大厦、大士港口、海底电缆枢纽的工程,仍会依需求调整项目进度。 “我国也会继续投入资金,发展榜鹅数码园区、裕廊创新区,以及双溪加株工业生态区。”

网民分享印佣哭诉“一天只吃一餐” 人力部介入调查

上周,名为“春明”的网民上载一则视频,视频中一名名为Castina的印尼籍家庭帮佣,申诉她的雇主一天只让他吃一餐,而且睡眠不足,每天清晨五点就得起床工作,否则要扣工资。 这名女佣以泪洗面,除了一天只能吃上一顿饭,如果雇主家人生病,她也要被扣工资!因为雇主指她带来病菌。 此外,周末她也不被允许外出,只能呆在家;雇主也不让她拨打电话给家人联系。由于感到被雇主威胁,Castina希望人力部协助。 至于人力部在昨日于官方脸书发文证实有关个案,并表示已介入调查,而目前有关女佣已暂时迁至印尼使馆暂居。 人力部提醒,确保女佣每日至少三餐,是雇主的责任;二人和面对福利待遇问题的外籍女佣,都可致电人力部热线1800 339 5505申诉。  

Motorcyclist dies from injuries after crashing to car door that opened suddenly at traffic light

An accident happened on Wednesday (22 Feb) around 9pm at Ang Mo…