State Court of Singapore

An officer from the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) who has been accused in the death of full-time national serviceman (NSF) Dave Lee has been given a discharge not amounting to an acquittal. This is done after he was diagnosed with cancer.

A spokesperson from the Attorney-General Chamber (AGC) told The Straits Times that the accused, Captain Tan Baoshu, has stage 4 cancer and the prosecution applied for a discharge last week.

“On the application of the prosecution, the Court has granted Capt Tan a discharge not amounting to an acquittal of the charge against him under Section 304(a) of the Penal Code,” she said.

The district judge granted the application on 8 January. This mean that the charge brought against CPT Tan was dropped but can be revived on a later date, if new evidence appears.

He was also suspended from service until the outcome of the court proceedings end.

31-year-old CPT Tan was in trial to the charge of causing Corporal Fist Class Lee’s death by a rash act. The dates for his trial had initially been reserved to next week.

Death of CFC Lee

On 30 April 2018, Corporal First Class (CFC) Lee succumbed to heat injuries sustained after an 8km fast march at the Bedok Camp on 18 April. He spent more than a week in intensive care at Changi General Hospital before passing away.

Court documents revealed that CPT Tan was CFC Lee’s commanding officer in the 1st Guards Battalion.

CPT Tan had allegedly supervised the fast march on April 18th but failed to evacuate CFC Lee in a timely manner after noticing heat injuries in his subordinate.

CPT Tan also allegedly did not allow the administration of “necessary treatment” to CPF Lee between 8.25am and 9.10am on that day, which led to his death from heat stroke, court documents heard.

After an SAF medic personnel attempted to reduce CPF Lee’s core temperature, he was rushed to Bedok Camp’s medical centre where an SAF medical team went on with body cooling measures and treatment.

He was later brought to the Changi General Hospital and placed in intensive care for more than a week, before he succumbed to his injuries.

A committee of Inquiry (COI) was convened to look into this training death.

Their preliminary assessment found that CFC Lee was already accumulated fatigue and insufficient rest in the days leading up to the fast march on 18th April.

This in combination with the inadequate on-site measures after the march were the reason why he succumbed to heat injuries.

The COI did also note that they did not find any evidence of foul play or systemic lapses.

If convicted of causing CFC Lee’s death by performing a rash act, CPT Tan could have been jailed for up to five years and fined.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

SDP launches 'Four Yes, One No' campaign for GE in response to COVID-19 pandemic

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) has…

五糖果罐藏91逃税烟 55岁男子被罚千元

55岁男子将91条各类逃税烟藏在金属糖果罐内,在新加坡游轮中心(Singapore Cruise Centre)被逮捕,并被罚款1000元。 移民与关卡局周三(15日)在脸书帖文,以“甜蜜的劫数”(Sweet disaster)作为标题,叙述以上时间。 当局指出,官员于本月6日,发现到男子的行李扫描图中出现异常物品,因此开始起疑。他们在随后检查过程中,发现了藏在五个糖果罐内的逃税烟。 当局将案件交给新加坡海关部门,而男子也因为涉嫌违规行为,缴付了1000元的罚款。 移民与关卡局指出,类似的隐蔽手法令人忧心,因为人们或许会使用类似手法将限制物品偷运入我国。 “无论如何,当局将继续对乘客和车辆进行安全检查,以保障我国的安全。”

Equipment failure at substation serving Carlton Hotel led to power outage in central Singapore, fire in hotel switch room

Following the power outage that affected several areas in central Singapore such…


根据卫生部文告,截至本月16日中午12时,本地新增465例冠状病毒19确诊。本地累计确诊已达2万7356例。 新增确诊病例大多为住宿舍工作准证持有者,另有四名本地公民和永久居民确诊。 当局仍在搜集新增病例详情并将在晚些时候公布。