Photo Credit: TODAY Online

On Tuesday (28 January), Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong took to his Facebook to reveal that the Government will continue to closely monitor the Wuhan virus situation in the country and “do more if necessary”.

His post came just a few hours after the Ministry of Health (MOH) announced the sixth and seventh confirmed Wuhan coronavirus cases in Singapore.

“I have received many messages from you expressing concerns about the Wuhan coronavirus. I fully understand your feelings. We are all worried for ourselves and our loved ones, here and overseas,” he wrote.

He noted that the situation is “developing rapidly” and Singapore has activated its “contingency plans”, and all the agencies working together.

He added that hospitals and healthcare workers in the county are well prepared. In fact, they have been prepared for something like this ever since the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) outbreak in 2003.

“Meanwhile, scientists and medical professionals across the world are working around the clock to understand the virus and develop a vaccine. Experts think the Wuhan virus may be less lethal than SARS, but more infectious. Patients who are infected may possibly be contagious before symptoms show. If true, this will make it harder to screen and detect new cases, and to stop the spread,” he wrote.

In his post, PM Lee repeated the earlier announced confirmed number of cases in Singapore, highlighting that we don’t have local transmission or community spread yet. However, he warned that Singapore must be prepared for it.

On Tuesday, MOH announced that the Republic will stop entry or transit of new visitors who have been to Hubei in the last 14 days, as well as those who have had their passport issued in Hubei.

PM Lee pointed out that Singapore will quarantine its residents and people who are holding long term passes who are coming back to the country, and have travelled recently to Hubei.

“We will continue to monitor the situation closely and do more if necessary. Meanwhile, we should all remain calm. All of us can do our part to limit transmission of germs by practicing good hygiene,” he said.

He continued, “Was your hands regularly, and seek medical active early and wear a mask if you feel unwell. But in general, there is no need to wear a mask if you are not ill.”

PM Lee also reminded people of Singapore to not listen or spread rumours about anything related to the Wuhan virus.

“Also please do not listen to or spread rumours and untrue reports — alas there is a lot of that circulating around, on WhatsApp and social media. Sharing news responsibly is an important way we can protect ourselves,” he explained.

Earlier on 23 January, PM Lee said that the Wuhan coronavirus does not appear to be as lethal as SARS, and urged the public to remain calm.

“It looks like this virus is not as lethal as SARS, but you do not know. It can mutate. We have to be as prepared as we can,” he expressed.

He added that the Government was “doing what we need to do”, and urged the public to take necessary precautions and reminded them not to panic.

Besides PM Lee, the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) also urged Singaporeans to stop themselves from manufacturing fake news and spread rumours regarding the deadly Wuhan coronavirus that’s happening in Singapore and other parts of the world.

“The SDP calls on Singaporeans to refrain from manufacturing fake news and spreading rumours about the Coronavirus that is transmitting in Singapore and around the world,” it said.

It added, “Alarming the public through such misinformation only harms our community and ourselves.

The Party explained that people should “double check the sources of such posts” and “verify that they are from reliable sources before passing on and sharing them”.

Separately, the Workers’ Party (WP) said in a statement on Tuesday evening that it gives its full support during this “trying period” to the multi-ministry taskforce set up by the government to consolidate efforts in containing the spread of the coronavirus outbreak in Singapore and overseas.

The WP said, “We have to stay united, and heed instructions given by the various ministries, especially that from the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Manpower, and the Ministry of Education.”

“Most importantly, we urge everyone to remain calm, and not to give in to fear mongering by speculating or spreading rumours online,” it added.

If that’s not all, the Secretary-General of the Progress Singapore Party (PSP) Dr Tan Cheng Bock said on Wednesday that we need to work together regardless of political affiliations to deal with this national issue of the Wuhan virus in Singapore.

Besides that, he advised people to keep an eye out for news from MOH, adding that they should be discreet about news relating to the virus from outside sources.

Dr Tan said, “This is a national issue. We must work together regardless of political affiliations. All of us should join forces with MOH and other government agencies to combat this virus.”

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

PM Lee: Next Prime Minister “likely” to be already in the cabinet

In a Channel NewsAsia report dated 19 october (Thursday), it is reported…

骨痛热症病例再出现上升迹象

尽管此前感染人数连续五周下降,但在今年初骨痛热症病例感染人数出现上升迹象。 截至12月28日前,已出现291病例,比起前一周的226更高,其增幅为29巴仙。 根据国家环境局数据显示,上周感染骨痛热症人数持续上升,314人被诊断患病,目前已有86个骨痛热症黑区,比起上月中旬增加了近三分之一。 我国去年爆发了第三次骨痛热症疫情,逾一万6千100人染病,全国累积出现1500个骨痛热症黑区,在感染高峰期更出现一周内664人感染,其中88人为严重患者。 去年有20宗骨痛热症死亡病例,年龄介于45岁至94岁之间。 由于疫情情况严重,国家环境局也严加防范,如与市镇会共享信息,找出蚊子数量较多的地区,并敦促他们加强防蚊措施,避免骨痛热症施虐,同时也鼓励居民与国家环境局合作,让他们能够在家中进行检查及室内喷雾。 在经过当局与民众的努力后,疫情于12月20日开始下降,国家环境局骨痛热症每周报告显示,病例数量从330病例下降至257病例,且黑区也从79下降至67。 但随后感染人数立即上升,黑区也飙升至86个。其中大部分集中在巴西立,共有147人感染,其次则是杨厝港,共131例。 卫生部呼吁虽然大多数患者都能从感染中恢复,但老年患者或带有并发症的患者,致死风险反而更高,所以一旦发生不适症状的人应立即就医。 骨痛热症的症状包括持续发烧2到7天、伴随眼睛疼痛的严重头痛、关节和肌肉疼痛、皮疹、犯恶心和呕吐。 大约五分之一的人被诊断出患有骨痛热症后,最终都需要住院观察。骨痛热症没有具体的治疗方法。那些有危险的骨痛热症出血或休克状况的病患,可能需要输血和补充电解质。 环境局日前也呼吁居民应定期使用驱蚊剂和清除积水,做好防护措施。而针对欲出远门的家庭,由于大多数孑孓滋生均在家中,在临出门前必须先做好防蚊措施,远离登革热,国家环境局提供的建议如下:…

Cost of building HDB flats – finally an answer?

Is the HDB reaping profits of $170,000 per flat? Leong Sze Hian.

【选举】专家预测行动党得票破七成 贝理安冀选民正视权力制衡

工人党阿裕尼集选区准候选人贝理安,在昨日分享《联合晚报》剪报。有关誌期本月24日的报导,指专家预测执政党在此次选举得票率,有望破七成,甚至于能突破75巴仙。 报导提及每逢危机的不确定笼罩,执政党得票率都超高;再者疫情下第四代领导班子的曝光率也较高。新加坡管理学院全球教育兼职讲师陈添金博士称,人们在危机中担心生计,会希望执政团队强力领导。 而贝理安估计,即使是很弱的候选人,只要跟随曝光率高的行动党部长都能在集选区获胜。他也指出,2001年美国发生911空袭事件不久后,我国也召开选举,行动党得票75.3巴仙。当时反对党中只有刘程强和詹时中党选,得票率仅超过50巴仙。 贝理安称,行动党决定选举时机。但是在野党可以掌控的,就是在国会中的斗争,包括提出关乎人民的课题、替代方案以及接触选民的基层工作,这都是工人党在选举前就致力的工作。 然而,贝理安也希望,珍视权力制衡、对政府问责和多元意见,且认为强大反对党有利国家的新加坡人,能在此次选举扮演他们的角色,确保这些价值观能融入国家的氛围。