The following is a press release from the Prime Minister’s Office.

PRIME MINISTER LEE HSIEN LOONG ON THE RE-ARREST OF MAS SELAMAT KASTARI

I had a four-eye lunch with Datuk Seri Najib in Pattaya on 11 April. It was an impromptu arrangement which we made after the ASEAN meeting was called off because of the Red Shirt demonstrations. Datuk Seri Najib told me that the Malaysians had arrested Mas Selamat Kastari. I responded that I had been informed about this, and thanked him for Malaysia’s generous support and help. I said that the terrorism problem affects both of us. The JI group remains active in the region, and we must work together to counter them as well as other such groups.  I especially appreciated the close cooperation and trust between ISD and its Malaysian counterpart, the Special Branch.

DPM Wong Kan Seng had earlier told me about Mas Selamat’s rearrest by the Malaysians. I knew that ISD had been working hard on the case, and had found some leads which they had given to the Malaysian authorities. But we could not say anything publicly or else it would jeopardise the operation. I was happy and relieved that Mas Selamat had been found and arrested before he had done any harm. Kan Seng told me that the Malaysians had asked us to keep this quiet for the time being. I replied that we had to respect this, even though I knew that Singaporeans would be very anxious to know the news. So we held the information very tightly.

On Thursday afternoon when all the Ministers were having our weekly Pre-Cabinet lunch, Kan Seng received a phone call informing him that The Straits Times had asked ISD to confirm their scoop which the ST said it came from the KL correspondent, that Mas Selamat has been arrested by the Malaysians. As the story had leaked, we had no choice but to confirm it. It was only then that Kan Seng told the Ministers that Mas Selamat had been arrested, the news had leaked, and we would be confirming the story. They were taken completely by surprise. 

I thank all the officers who have been involved in hunting for and tracking down Mas Selamat over this last year. I never had any doubt that we would eventually find Mas Selamat, because I knew the quality and commitment of the officers working on this. ISD had recovered quickly from the mistakes which led to Mas Selamat’s escape, put things right, and set themselves to finding and arresting him back. But nevertheless it is good that we have now got him. Our security agencies work quietly and anonymously, keeping Singapore safe. The public only hears about their work occasionally, for example when things go wrong. But we owe them more than most Singaporeans realise.

We must not think that Mas Selamat’s arrest is the end of our problem. The terrorism situation in Southeast Asia is under control, but the threat is far from over. Once in a while there is an attack somewhere, so far fortunately not in Singapore. But for every attack reported in the newspapers there are many more plots which the security agencies uncover, track and hopefully disrupt. These never make it into the public consciousness, but we know about them from intelligence reports. Our challenge is to keep up our guard without getting fatigued or complacent. The price of security is eternal vigilance.

PRIME MINISTER’S OFFICE

9 MAY 2009

 

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Estate upgrading incident in Potong Pasir leads to senior citizen being paralysed from neck down, lawsuit filed in High Court

An accident in Potong Pasir in April this year due to the…

为建人行桥拆圣淘沙鱼尾狮 网民询问:值得吗?

为建造耗资9000万元的大型户外活动景点“圣淘沙心之音”,具标志性雕像之一的圣淘沙鱼尾狮难逃为发展让路的命运。但是人们不禁问道,“花这么多钱,拆除地标,值得吗?”。 作为重新塑造岛屿,并与邻近的布拉尼岛一起打造成为休闲和旅游胜地的长期计划之一,这项决定并非一时决定的。高达37米的鱼尾狮塔位居圣淘沙中心点,因其体积规模无法被移走重置。 圣淘沙发展公司(SDC)执行长Quek Swee Kuan表示,因为鱼尾狮塔太大而无法搬迁,目前正考虑纪念它的方式。“岛上管理层正在考虑为圣淘沙竖立新的标志。” 该公司指出,这著名地标将运营至10月20日,而该区的建筑工程将在今年年底开始,而鱼尾狮塔拆除日期取决于敲定的建筑计划中。 将耗资9000万元的圣淘沙新景点,占地约5个半足球场,即3万平方米,将通过多感官体验,将北部的圣淘沙名胜世界(RWS)于南部的圣淘沙海滩链接起来,以取代现有的行人通道。 SDC管理层于上周五(9月20日)的媒体发布会上透露,新项目将具有某些功能,包括观景台、水景以及其他的建筑元素,将为游客透过行人通道获得多种感官体验。 圣淘沙和布拉尼岛皆为未来的南部海滨区域的一部分,该区30公里长的海滩将被改造为生活、工作和娱乐场所。 努力提高地区价值 Quek Swee…

Facebook, Twitter, SPH Magazines issued with POFMA directive over falsehoods on “S’pore variant”

Health Minister Ong Ye Kung has instructed the Protection from Online Falsehoods…

25 new cases of COVID-19 infection in S’pore; 6 out of 19 community cases unlinked

As of Sunday noon (30 May), the Ministry of Health (MOH) has…