Two teenagers, approximately age 13, reportedly received an electric shock from a lamp post in Lorong 5 Toa Payoh on Sunday (13 Jun).
The incident was first reported by Shin Min Daily News on Monday (14 Jun), which stated that the youngsters were playing football next to a playground near the fitness corner.
A resident told the Chinese daily that the teens were retrieving the ball when the incident occurred.
One of them received an electric shock from the lamp post, while the other teen received a shock when attempting to help.
Following that, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) told The Straits Times (ST) that it received a call for assistance at 8.25pm on Sunday at Block 63 Toa Payoh Lorong 5.
SCDF noted that two individuals were sent to KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital for medical treatment.
It was reported that one of them was discharged, and the other was moved from the intensive care unit to a regular ward on Monday.
Speaking to ST, Bishan-Toa Payoh Town Council said it has been informed by the essential maintenance services unit about the incident.
“The town council is currently carrying out an investigation into the cause of the electric shock,” it added.
Prior to the incident, there have been no such incidents being reported in the estate.
The Town Council noted that the lamp post in Lorong 5 was last checked by a licensed electrical worker earlier this year, with the next inspection due in July.
It added that six-monthly inspections are also conducted to ensure the electrical installations are safe.
“Town council officers also carry out monthly visual inspections to ensure that outdoor fittings are properly in place and will follow up with defect rectification where required,” said the Town Council.
Netizens speculate the causes of the electric shock incident
Meanwhile, netizens were quick to make speculations on the causes of the incident under the comment section of Mothership and ST’s Facebook posts, with many of them opined that improper installations, exposed wiring, and lack of supervision might have caused the electric shock to occur.
One netizen wrote: “There are many factors contributing to this, poor cable insulation, poor grounding (resulting in the fault current unable to be discharged to earth), exposed terminals, current leakage etc the worst thing we don’t want to have is a.. Potential Difference that will cause anyone to have an electric shock when they come into contact with the pole.”
Some netizens asking if one of the teens had touched the lamp post when the electric shock happened.