On Monday (10 May), Mr S Iswaran, Minister for Communications and Information, announced that former transport minister Khaw Boon Wan will be appointed the chairman of the company limited by guarantee (CLG) after Singapore Press Holdings (SPH)’s media business is spun off from SPH.

The restructuring of SPH’s media business is subject to the final shareholders’ approval but most people would expect the approval to go through.

After the announcement, Khaw told the media that he would be taking on the new role with “some anxiety”.

“It is a heavy responsibility. I accept it with some anxiety as I have no digital media experience. I will see how we can adapt relevant experiences from successful transformation elsewhere,” he said.

Calling the CLG a national project, Khaw added, “I agree with Mr Iswaran on the local media’s critical role and will do my best to ensure we succeed in this national project.”

“This assignment will disrupt my retirement. In the last one year, I have been blissfully content. But I cannot allow a Singapore institution to go into decline,” he emphasized.

“I will see how I can help unleash the talent and the passion in our newsrooms. We will re-focus on our primary mission of providing quality journalism to help build this young nation.”

After the SPH shareholders approve the spin-off, OCBC, UOB and DBS, insurers Great Eastern and NTUC Income, Singtel, NUS, NTU as well as Temasek Holdings’ subsidiary Fullerton will become the founding members of the CLG. Most of them are, of course, linked to the government.

Khaw retired from politics ahead of the General Election last year to make way for PAP 4G leaders to take over. He was formerly a Malaysian and was awarded the Colombo Plan scholarship from Singaporean Ministry of Education in 1973.

After graduating in 1977 from the University of Newcastle in Australia, he started working in Singapore at the Ministry of Health. In 1992, he became the Principal Private Secretary to then PM Goh Chok Tong. He joined People’s Action Party (PAP) and entered politics in 2001, after a career in the public service.

88-year-old airport cleaner became Case 62873

Unlike Khaw, many Singaporeans, however, do not have the luxury of retiring, let alone being “disrupted from retirement”.

Take for example, the 88-year-old elderly Singaporean man, who recently discovered to have contracted COVID-19, still needs to work as a cleaner at the airport to make a living.

The 88-year-old is employed by Ramky Cleantech Services Pte Ltd as a cleaner deployed to work at Changi Airport Terminal 3. Unfortunately, he was found to have contracted the COVID-19 virus.

He developed a runny nose and cough on 4 May and sought medical treatment at a General Practitioner clinic, where he was tested for COVID-19. His test result immediately came back positive the next day. He was subsequently conveyed to Sengkang General Hospital in an ambulance. Despite being vaccinated, he was still able to catch the virus at the airport.

The virus caught by the elderly man has gone on to infect a number of others linked to the airport. The Ministry of Health (MOH) has named this “Case 62873 cluster” after the elderly man who was labelled “Case 62873”.

As of yesterday (13 May), this cluster has grown to 46 cases, after 19 new cases were added to the list. The new cases include three cleaners and a cleaning supervisor, a housewife who visited Terminal 3 multiple times and a GoJek driver.

Of the new cases, nine people work at Changi Airport, while six of them were household contacts of cleaners who worked at the airport. Eight of the new cases in the cluster have tested preliminarily positive for the B1617 variant which was first discovered in India, MOH said.

In any case, unlike the 88-year-old elderly, Khaw can afford to retire and does not require to expose himself to danger at the Changi Airport everyday.

 

Subscribe
Notify of
30 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Singapore Archbishop announces indefinite suspension of public Masses to minimize risk of COVID-19 cluster outbreak

Most Rev Archbishop William Goh Seng Chye has announced that public Masses…

How to Create A Housing Bubble

The following article first appeared in Reinventing the Rice Bowl Why cooling…

Rollercoaster to showcase a house on sale

[youtube id=”D2QOtnLdnLQ” align=”center” mode=”normal”] Thinking of how to showcase your house to…

冀望减少家庭负担 单亲妈妈五年申请租赁组屋仍无下文

一名单亲妈妈日前在社媒上发文申诉,指自己一直申请租住政府组屋数年都被拒,甚至先后致函了数位部长,包括向李显龙总理求助,但是都没有下文,导致孩子可能必须随着自己过上四处为家的生活,对政府承诺会照顾人民的“口不对心”做法,感到失望。 署名Chanel Koh的单亲妈妈于2月12日在脸书上帖出长篇文中,她细述了年轻时期所面对的困境,一直到婚后生子,面对家暴和破败婚姻后,重新想要拥有“自己的家”的心愿,以及所面对到租赁政府组屋的困境。 她也披露在申请租赁组屋过程中,曾经向多名“高官”求助,但之后音讯全无,或表示他们也无能为力。 她称,儿时亲睹父亲遭杀害、母亲入狱的困境,随后被送到阿姨家中,却遭到对方虐待,最后她离家出走,一直到三年后母亲获释为止。 在她20岁那年开始,即2015年至2016年期间曾经申请组屋租赁,也曾经数次致函基础建设统筹部长兼交通部长许文远,但申请最后都不了了之, 她曾于2015年接获租赁单位回函,指她不符合申请资格,因为薪金已经达到了1800(包含公积金),且仍然有母亲和兄弟,虽然当时他们皆为阶下囚。 但是Chanel指出,1800元的薪金在除去缴纳公积金后,只剩下1440元,应付包括租金在内的一个月开支已经非常困难,“若有家人支持,母亲和兄长都没有入狱,我会申请租赁组屋吗?” 她之后于2015年11月6日致函新加坡总理李显龙,或许引起一些关注了,建屋局当时曾向她索取大量文件,但是到了2016年的农历新年后,就音讯全无了。 家暴离开丈夫 她于2016年3月28日再次致函政府组屋租赁部门,申请租赁一房式单位,同时也通过电子邮件向武吉班让单选区国会议员张俰宾博士求助。然而事情发生了一年多,她仍然没有接获任何帮助,并且还是在外组屋。 Chanel于2016年结婚,和丈夫一起居住,但是在生了两个孩子,却迎来了丈夫的暴力相向及不忠,因此她再次希望能够搬出去住,而且决定将孩子带在身旁。…