Source: Gerald Giam / Facebook

Occupants of a Hougang flat unit were not injured in a fire that broke out in the house on Monday afternoon (29 Mar) and will be housed in temporary accommodation provided by the Housing and Development Board (HDB), said the Workers’ Party (WP) Member of Parliament Gerald Giam.

In a Facebook post today, Mr Giam said that the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) had put out the blaze at Blk 512 Hougang Ave 10 “soon after they arrived”.

“I was visiting the precinct at the time so I dropped in to check on the residents, including the occupants of the flat. They are shaken but holding up fine.

“Despite the shock of the blast in their house, they had the presence of mind to quickly run out and alert their neighbours to evacuate, so everyone was safe,” said Mr Giam.

Mr Giam also said that SCDF, as well as the Singapore Police Force (SPF) and the the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council officers on the scene had “handled the whole incident very professionally”.

“By the evening, Town Council conservancy workers had helped to clear out much of the water and debris from the flat,” he said.

Mr Giam also said that “we are in touch” with the family who occupied the unit “to assist them with their immediate needs”.

“I’m grateful that HDB has found them temporary accommodation at such short notice. We are prepared to coordinate further help as needed,” he said.

Notify of
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments