The Ministry of Health (MOH) has confirmed that a 51-year-old male Chinese national has died due to complications from COVID-19 infection on Sunday (31 May).
He is the youngest COVID-19 patient to succumb to COVID-19 and the 24th case of fatality in the country.
The deceased, known as case 17329, was confirmed to have COVID-19 infection on 1 May but had been warded in the intensive care unit (ICU) in end of April.
According to the MOH’s statement on Monday (1 June), he was diagnosed with lymphoma complicated by multi-organ failure while he had been warded in ICU.
“Despite being treated for lymphoma, his condition had deteriorated and he subsequently passed on,” said the Ministry, adding that the National University Hospital has reached out to the man’s family and is extending assistance to them.
Following the news of the 51-year-old migrant worker’s passing, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) expressed its deepest condolences to his family in its statement on Monday.
The MOM stated that the family members and employer of the deceased, as well as the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Singapore, have been informed of the passing of the worker.
“His employer had alerted his family of his condition when he was first admitted to the ICU. The hospital had also provided regular updates to the employer,” noted the Ministry.
The 51-year-old deceased started working in Singapore since 2001, and had worked as a foreman under his current employer for close to a year without any employment issues.
The MOM also said that it is currently working with the Migrant Workers’ Centre (MWC) to provide financial assistance to the deceased’s family to tide over immediate needs via its Migrant Workers Assistance Fund.
It added that the employer will also be assisting the family members on the funeral arrangements.
At the same time, Minister of Manpower Josephine Teo took to her Facebook on Monday, offering her condolences to the deceased’s family.
“It is heart-breaking to think of his family’s grief at such a time. My thoughts and prayers are with them,” she expressed.
Ms Teo added that she has been closely monitoring the conditions of the migrant workers who have been infected with COVID-19, and praying for their recovery.
“I have no doubt that our doctors and nurses at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital and subsequently, the National University Hospital tried their very best and the patient was given the same high level of medical attention that they have been committed to,” she wrote.
Ms Teo went on to say that the Chinese Embassy in Singapore was kept informed of the 51-year-old’s situation from the beginning.
“With the passing of the worker, the community of migrant workers here would naturally be concerned. Singapore Ministry of Manpower will continue to reach out to these migrant workers as we have done so in the past weeks, to offer any assistance and assurance that they would need,” she remarked.
MOH has reported an additional 408 cases of COVID-19 infection as of Monday noon, with a total tally of 35,292 cases since the COVID-19 outbreak in the country. All of those cases announced involving Work Permit holders residing inside and outside dormitories.