Japanese medics are warning more must be done to prevent the coronavirus from overwhelming the country’s healthcare system as confirmed cases passed 10,000, despite a nationwide state of emergency.
Experts have been alarmed by a recent spike in COVID-19 infections, with hundreds detected daily.
Japan’s outbreak remains less severe than in hard-hit European countries, but its caseload is one of Asia’s highest after China and India, and is roughly on par with South Korea.
There have been 171 deaths recorded so far in Japan and 10,751 cases, with the country under a month-long state of emergency, initially covering seven regions but now in place nationwide.
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has urged residents to reduce contact with other people by 70 to 80 percent, and the number of people on Tokyo’s normally packed transport system has dropped significantly.
But the measures do not prevent people from going out, and many shops and even restaurants remain open, even as medical associations warn the country’s healthcare system is struggling to cope.
“The system is on the verge of collapse in many places in Japan,” said Kentaro Iwata, an infectious diseases specialist from Kobe University who has repeatedly criticised the government’s response to the crisis.
Speaking at a press briefing on Monday, Iwata said Japan’s strategy of limited testing and intensive contact-tracing worked well in the initial phase of the local outbreak, when numbers were small.
But he charged that Japan failed to adapt as the outbreak grew.
“We needed to prepare for once the situation changes, once the cluster-chasing became not effective and we needed to change strategy immediately,” he said.
“But traditionally speaking, and historically speaking, Japan is not very good at changing strategy,” he added.
“We are very poor at even thinking of plan B because thinking of plan B is a sign of admitting failure of plan A.”

Not a ‘worst-case scenario’

Japan’s government argues it has adjusted its strategy, boosting testing capacity, changing rules that required all positive cases to remain in hospitals where wards quickly became full, and imposing the state of emergency to reduce the spread.
But medical experts have called the measures insufficient.
“Beds for novel coronavirus patients continue to be almost full,” Haruo Ozaki, president of the Tokyo Medical Association, warned last week.
The association has been increasing beds but with a large number of new cases coming in every day, “beds are being occupied instantly,” he said.
The health minister has acknowledged that hospitals have in some cases turned away suspected coronavirus patients in ambulances.
“Japan hasn’t built a system in which ordinary hospitals can take infectious disease patients in an emergency, when designated hospitals can’t cope,” Ozaki said on Friday.
“We are doing our best… but infections are spreading faster than expected,” he added.
And hospitals are also struggling with equipment shortages, with the mayor of Osaka calling for donations of unused raincoats for health workers currently forced to use garbage bags for protective equipment.
Both Iwata and Ozaki warned that the state of emergency now in place until at least May 6 was not sufficient.
“While they talk about border controls and decreasing person-to-person contacts, they let stores stay open,” Ozaki complained.
Iwata said he was “half-encouraged and half-discouraged” by the infection numbers in Tokyo, which he called “relatively stable.”
“My biggest fear was the explosion of diagnoses… like in New York City, which didn’t happen,” he said.
“These numbers are much better than the worst-case scenario.”
– AFP

Subscribe
Notify of
1 Comment
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Loyal dog waited six days at Spanish hospital for sick owner

ALICANTE, SPAIN – Maya, a faithful dog was finally reunited with her owner…

越南外交部:对李显龙言论未客观反映史实感遗憾

除了柬埔寨国防部长和议员要求我国总理李显龙,针对此前指指越南在1979年“入侵柬埔寨”言论作出更正,越南外交部发言人也在昨日表态,对李显龙的言论未客观反映史实而表达遗憾。 根据越南越通社报导,越南外交部发言人黎氏秋姮接受当地媒体询问时,表示李显龙的讲话内容中认为越南已“侵略”,“侵占”柬埔寨。黎氏秋姮对此强调,越南对未客观地反映历史事实、对舆论造成不良影响的部分讲话内容感到遗憾。 她表示越南外交部已和新加坡外交部,就此问题进行磋商。 她指出,越南在终结柬埔寨红高棉政权种族灭绝,作出的贡献和牺牲受到广泛认可。 李显龙是在5月31日,于个人脸书专页发文哀悼泰国前首相布勒姆的逝世。其中提及布勒姆当年曾反对“越南入侵柬埔寨”,且不承认取代红高棉的柬埔寨政府。此外,在香格里拉对话会的开幕晚宴上致词时,也曾提及越南入侵柬埔寨一说。 2018年11月16日,由联合国资助的柬埔寨法院特别法庭(ECCC)判决,前红色高棉意识形态主管农谢(92岁)和前政府总理乔森潘(87岁)被裁定犯有大屠杀罪,双双被判无期徒刑。 该判决反映了历史事实,为受害者讨回公道,并受到联合国和国际社会的欢迎。 发言人也指出,东盟取得的成就,乃是所有成员国共同努力的成果,各国都应意识到需在相互尊重和共同原则的基础上,加强东盟间团结的重要性。 至于柬埔寨国防部长狄班,是在周一接受媒体访问时,表示已要求黄永宏告知李总理,对其言论作出更正。 “他(李显龙)的言论是不实、未反映史实的,说越南军队入侵柬埔寨完全不对,我们请他作出更正。”他表示,他们至今仍认为当年越南志愿部队是来到柬埔寨解救百姓的性命,对该国有显著意义。 柬评论抨击“不尊重红高棉受害者” 另一方面,在本周一柬埔寨英语媒体《高棉时报》,也刊载一篇措辞强烈的评论《李显龙不尊重红高棉受害者》。…

Messenger RNA COVID vaccines 66% effective against Delta: US study

The effectiveness against infection of the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines dropped…

39 new cases of COVID-19 infection in Singapore; 14 community cases

As of Sunday noon (2 May), the Ministry of Health (MOH) has…