Source: Prime Minister Boris Johnson Facebook page.

by Joe Jackson
Prime Minister Boris Johnson was recovering in a hospital ward Friday after ending three days in intensive care for COVID-19, as his government urged Britons to stay at home over Easter.
The 55-year-old leader left intensive care at London’s St Thomas’ Hospital on Thursday evening and will now be monitored closely during what Downing Street called “the early phase of his recovery”.
“He is in extremely good spirits,” a No. 10 spokesman said.
Johnson’s improving condition came as the government continues to impose an unprecedented nationwide lockdown to try to stem the spread of the deadly coronavirus.
It announced another 881 deaths on Thursday, taking the UK total to 7,978, with more than 65,000 cases so far confirmed.
That is thought to reflect only a fraction of the actual number of people infected.
Despite the grim tolls, there were indications the stringent social distancing regime introduced on March 23 could be starting to have a positive impact.
“We are beginning to see the benefits of this social distancing,” said Stephen Powis, medical director of England’s state-run National Health Service (NHS).
“We do believe the virus is spreading less,” he told the BBC.
But Powis stressed it was “critical” that people keep obeying the social distancing measures over the long Easter weekend, when fine weather in forecast.
“It’s still too early to really be confident that we are turning the corner,” he added.
“We need to completely and utterly make sure that we all comply with the instructions we have been given.”

‘Period of readjustment’

Johnson is the most high-profile world leader to suffer from the coronavirus.
He was hospitalised Sunday over concerns he still had a cough and high temperature after spending 10 days in self-isolation in a flat above his Downing Street office.
While in intensive care the Conservative leader received “standard oxygen treatment” and did not require a ventilator.
But his transfer there Monday, unprecedented for a prime minister during a national emergency in modern times, rattled Britain and sent shockwaves around the world.
US President Donald Trump called Johnson’s release from intensive care “a very positive development”.
His father Stanley Johnson said on Saturday he must now “rest up”, after last week trying to keep working during his self-isolation.
“He has to take time,” the elder Johnson told BBC radio.
“I cannot believe you can walk away from this and get straight back to Downing Street and pick up the reins without a period of readjustment.”
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has been deputising for Johnson in his absence.
He led an emergency meeting of senior ministers on Friday, which discussed a formal review of the lockdown measures set for next week.
Implemented for an initial three weeks, the measures are widely expected to remain for at least the rest of the month.
Imperial College professor Neil Ferguson, one of the scientists advising the government on coronavirus, said they appeared to be working better than expected.
But he cautioned more evidence the spread of the disease was being reduced would be needed before they could be relaxed.
“There is some preliminary evidence… that we have seen even larger reductions in normal behaviour, contact, than we would have dared hope,” he told BBC radio.
“That is good news but we have still got to see that reflected in case numbers coming down.”
– AFP

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Don’t sidetrack on issue of public housing, Low tells Mah

Ko Siew Huey / Picture by Woon Hian Chong. Rebutting National Development…

涉嫌冯伟衷死因 二军人今日在军事法庭面控

因涉嫌导致战备军人冯伟衷一等中士在军训中重伤身亡,两名军人将在今日在军事法庭被提控。   国防部今日(31日)发文告指出,两名被控军人分别为35岁的军事专家(ME2)Ivan Teo,以及31岁的三级上士(3SG(NS)Hubert Wah。   Ivan Teo面对三项控状,包括在《新加坡武装部队法令》21条文下,违反一般指令,以及在刑事法典第304A(b)条文下,面对两项行为疏忽,导致他人死亡指控。   Hubert Wah则面对两项控状,分别为一项行为鲁莽和一项行为疏忽导致他人死亡,抵触刑事法典的罪名。  …

骨痛热症单周纪录刷新 上周1794新增病例!

我国单周骨痛热症新增病例再创新高,本月19日至25日共有1794起病例,比上周多了63起,几乎每日增加九起新病例。 国家环境局官网数据显示,上周的新增病例几乎是2014年单周纪录891起的两倍以上,将我国的病例累积超过了2万零600起。 这也是我国连续第七周,单周新增病例超过1000起了。 当局促请民众采取行动,清除家中和周围的积水,破坏蚊子的繁殖温床,打破骨痛热症的传播周期。 当局也建议在骨痛热症黑区的居民,在住家周围的暗黑角落,如窗帘后方和床底下喷洒杀虫剂,并定期涂上驱蚊剂,穿上长袖长裤,以避免蚊虫叮咬。