As a form of support for Singaporeans to power through the COVID-19 pandemic that led closures of businesses, the Government had set up a Temporary Relief Fund to aid people who need urgent financial assistance.
To increase the accessibility of the application for Temporary Relief Fund, the Government accepts a variety of supporting documents which include letters, e-mails, screenshots of a mobile app, WhatsApp messages, appointment booklets, handwritten notes as well as payment slips. However, certain people had been discovered to have “cheated the system” in order to receive the funds even when they clearly do not need the money as much as the people in need.
Minister of Social & Family Development, Desmond Lee shared about this incident onto his Facebook, condemning the people who took advantage of the Government’s aid while many more Singaporeans urgently need the aid to stay alive.
Mr Lee stated that more than 100,000 Singaporeans who have been severely affected by COVID-19 had applied for the Temporary Relief Fund, and the volunteers for SSO and People’s Association had been working hard to process and disburse the funds as quickly as possible.
Despite their efforts in helping other Singaporeans, Mr Lee said that he had received certain screenshots of how a small number of Singaporeans lied just to receive the funds. Mr Lee explained that these people did not really “cheat the Government”, but what they were really doing was taking advantage at the expense of many Singaporeans who are experiencing a genuine crisis.

Expressing how disheartened he and his colleagues felt upon such despicable actions, Mr Lee stated that he had sent these reports of abuse to Minister Shanmugam.

“Yet, many people have sent me screenshots such as this, which suggest that a very small number of people are taking advantage of the schemes, or encouraging others who do not need help to try to “cheat” the system. No, you are not cheating just the government. You are doing this at the expense of many Singaporeans who are in genuine crisis, and need this help. Those who’ve written to me about such abuse are rightly indignant. And my colleagues and I are also disheartened.”

He had also made it clear that the Government’s priority at the moment would be to disburse the funds as well as to improve the way they provide assistance to help the affected people and vulnerable communities.

“But our priority now is to disburse the TRF, the COVID-19 Support Grant and provide other help schemes. We need to focus on improving the way we provide assistance, to help affected people and vulnerable communities.”

Having that said, people left comments under the post saying that they still had not gotten any response for their applications.
MuhdEEE Shalihin commented that he had applied for the Temporary Relief Fund since last Thursday (2 April) and he still had not received anything. Working as a GrabFood rider and being the sole earner in his family, he expressed that during this difficult situation he could only pray for better days to come.
Mechelle ZJ Luo-Sng pleaded Mr Lee for help by stating that her father and brother were severely impacted at work due to COVID-19 and she mentioned that Tampines Hub Community Centre rejected them. She felt the irony when people in need could not receive the aid while others who didn’t need the money managed to get the fund.
NZ Remy commented that the people who really need the aid could not receive the money urgently and that she is still waiting for hers. Mr Desmond Lee replied under her comment to ask her to send him a personal message. It turns out that Ms Remy had already requested help on Saturday (4 April) and it seems like Mr Lee did not respond to her.
In light of the impact COVID-19 had caused unto businesses, employers were found to be unkind towards their employees and many people lost their jobs during such a difficult period of time.
Jess Chua said that her mother had been retrenched at a food court as a drinks assistant, and thus Ms Chua wanted to help her mother to apply for the Fund. However, after getting in touch with her mother’s supervisor to request a retrenchment letter, the supervisor responded that the letter is not needed to apply for the Fund. Ms Chua stated that abuse of the Fund will persist if no official document is required for the application.

Here are a few more people who expressed difficulties in the process of application for Fund:
Candice Lau stated that she and her husband had applied for the Fund at the Serangoon Community Club on 2 April but they have still yet to receive a response. She also mentioned that some of her family and friends who applied after she did had already gotten their aid.
Since the Temporary Relief Fund is to support the people who had lost their job or a 30 per cent drop in their income, Zulkifli Adawiyah commented that he provided documented proof for his 40 per cent salary drop. However, his application still got rejected.
Mohamed Faizal stated that his company had to shut down and leave him unemployed. Mr Faizal applied for the Fund at Pasir Ris East Community Club on the first day and he still hasn’t gotten any response so far.
Nadya Salyriana expressed that she had encountered so much problem just to justify her application, and she felt the unfairness when someone without documented proof could apply for the Fund easily. Ms Nadya also questioned if different officers have different ways of screening.
Ms קרולין הודית described that she queued for one hour at Yishun Social Service Office and was then directed to Community Club instead. She submitted her application with documented proof after queuing for another three hours at the Community Club, yet her application is still under consideration. Expressing her confusion upon seeing how others could apply so easily without documents, she wondered if they applied for the same Fund.

Although the Government intended to make the application process easier for Singaporeans, employers were found to be unhelpful by refusing to provide help for their employees. During tough times like this, not only that employers’ abuse was being magnified, but also the selfish people who encourage taking advantage of the Temporary Relief Fund.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

【选举】政府四预算案人民未能直接受惠 民主党争取落实以民为本政策

新加坡民主党昨日(6月24日)召开线上记者会,更深入的阐明该党“4Y1N”(四是一不)的竞选宣言,由党秘书长徐顺全和党主席淡马亚主持。而该党今天也将会在红迪(Reddit)进行与民交流的问答环节,欢迎民众参与并踊跃发问。 民主党的竞选宣言“4Y1N”于今年4月份推出,所谓的4Y(要)即暂停消费税、倡议被裁员者福利、设立退休人士收入和以民为先的政府;而1N(不要)则是指拒绝放眼一千万人口的规划。 记者会上,徐顺全指出,政府在疫情期间所发布的四项预算案,受惠者似乎大多以企业为主,并非让人民直接受惠。然而该党希望能够直接为人民提供帮助,尤其在此艰难时期,让他们能够直接获得现金进行消费,从中也推动了商业活动和国家经济,因此将它纳入竞选宣言中。 徐顺全也认为目前应该暂停征收消费税,以减轻民众的经济负担,甚至可以豁免如糖、盐等必需品的税收。若他强调,这只是暂停征收消费税,而在确保国家收入上,政府也可以选择增加富人家的税收。 他续讲解,为受疫情影响而被裁员的员工提供一半的工资,长达一年半,即首半年提供原先工资的75巴仙,第二半年提供一半的工资,以及最后的半年提供原工资的四分一。 另外,他提到“言出必行”(Walk The Talk)募款活动遭警方驳回一事,导致该党的两大募款活动都无法进行,因此他们只能集中于网上募款。 被询及会如何应对三角战时,徐顺全和淡马亚都表示,目前没有任何迹象显示有其他反对党想到该党参选的选区竞选。 今晚红迪设问答环节 民主党也在脸书上发帖,表示今晚将在红迪进行问答环节“AMA”(Ask Me…

Dr Intan responds to resident's accusation of non-assistance

On Friday, Member of Parliament of the Ang Mo Kio GRC, Dr Intan Mokhtar…

Why Yasmin Ahmad was so important to me

“Her films made us less lonely,” says Alfian Sa’at.