Yesterday, Japan’s Health Minister, Katsunobu Kato, disclosed another 41 people on board a cruise ship, Diamond Princess, off Japan’s coast have been tested positive for a  new strain of coronavirus. With this, the number of confirmed infections on board the ship rise to 61.

Twenty people who were earlier diagnosed with the virus have already been removed from the vessel and taken to hospitals.

There are more than 3,700 passengers and crew on the ship and thus far, the Japanese authorities have tested 273 people aboard the ship. All passengers and crews have been quarantined within the vessel, after a former passenger, an 80-year-old man, who disembarked in Hong Kong last month, was tested positive for the virus.

The cruise ship has docked at Yokohama on Thursday for a resupply of food and medical items needed for a quarantine that could last until February 19.

Mr Kato added that authorities will continue the testing of those susceptible to illness, including elderly people and those with other ailments, as well as those who had close contact with people who were newly diagnosed with the virus.

An American couple, Kent Frasure, 42, and his 35-year-old wife, Rebecca, passengers on the cruise liner had their temperatures taken on Monday and underwent additional screening the next day, including throat swabs.

Speaking to The Japan Times via Skype on Thursday morning, the couple revealed that they had not left their room for more than 24 hours. Regular meals were being delivered just outside their door by crew members wearing masks and gloves.

On Wednesday, passengers of the Diamond Princess were asked to notify the crew of any medical needs. They were told that medication would be provided free of charge.

Passengers aboard have not been able to interact with each other except by leaning over their balconies to talk with people in adjacent rooms.

Kent Frasure said he and his wife had spoken with two travelers from Canada, one in a room above them and one next door.

Japan Times quotes the Frasure’s as saying that during the cruise, the ship had made six stops, and a majority of passengers disembarked at each stop for sightseeing. Passengers visited Hong Kong Disneyland during the Lunar New Year, and shopped in Okinawa and enjoyed all other sites. He added that some passengers wore masks as a measure of precaution.

Passengers aboard the Diamond Princess have shared their stories on various social media platforms. Some posted pictures of their rooms as they were bored in isolation while others pleaded for help amid growing fears of the spreading virus.

A passenger onboard the cruise shared his worries about potentially contracting the disease soon, on Twitter. He wrote, “I keep hearing painful coughs from a foreigner in a nearby room”. He noted that as crew members were delivering meals from room to room, “I might get infected today or tomorrow”, he added.

https://twitter.com/daxa_tw/status/1225173982715842560

 

Also among the 3,700 passengers, were British couple Elaine and John Spencer, who boarded the vessel at Singapore’s Marina Bay Cruise Center for a 29-night cruise of South-east Asia and Japan.

Answering queries posed by the Straits Times, the couple expressed that they are not worried of contracting the infectious virus.

“We are very good at washing our hands,” said Mrs Spencer, who by profession is a health and social care trainer.

Regarding food service that takes up to three hours to be sent up their rooms, the Spencer’s acknowledge that the staff are doing their best at a pressing time.

Despite being confined to just their room, the British couple are taking the whole episode in their stride.

“We’ve been married a long time, so I think we’ll be okay, we won’t strangle each other,” she quipped. The couple are celebrating their 20th wedding anniversary this year.

Overall, cases of the infectious disease have been reported in more than twenty nations, with a majority of them in Mainland China which is the epicentre of the virus outbreak.

To date, China has reported more than 636 deaths, with over 31,161 confirmed cases. Japan has the second most confirmed cases after China with 86 cases.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Woman’s leg stuck in the gap between train and platform at Buona Vista station, bystander highlights need for first aid refresher course for SMRT staff

There was a bit of a commotion at Buona Vista SMRT station…

Robbery in Holland Ave, the first since 2008

An unarmed man robbed $30,000 from a bank branch of Standard Chartered…

涉金额逾21万元 前高管受贿98次

樟宜机场管理投资公司(CAI)一名前副主任今日(23日)被指控,曾帮助一家公司取得合约,总共受贿98次,金额高达21万5237元。 45岁的被告林良义( Lim Liong Ghee译音),林良义也是新加坡鼎亚资本公司(Dymon Asia Capital)的前信息技术经理。 贪污调查局(CPIB)在文告中指出,被告是在协助促进First Tel Tech公司和鼎亚及CAI的商业利益后,获得有关现金“回馈”。 目前他面对98项贪污贿赂指控。 和他人串谋伪造证件…

UN envoy issues Myanmar warning after Suu Kyi hit with new charge

The UN special envoy on Myanmar has warned of the potential for…