Starting noon tomorrow (29 January), people who have been in Hubei over the last 14 days or have passports issued in Hubei will be barred from entering or transiting Singapore.

The announcement comes after the Ministry of Health (MOH) confirms two new cases of the Wuhan virus in the country, bringing the total number of cases in Singapore up to seven. Three cases tested positive in the last 24 hours alone.

This ban applies to all land, sea and air checkpoints

MOH announced that airlines will be informed about these new rules and they will, in turn, notify their passengers.

Those who have been denied entry will have to figure out their own travel arrangements to exit Singapore.

MOH added that while there is no evidence of community spread in Singapore for now, they are putting in place enhanced measures to protect from the virus spreading further given the accelerating trend of infection among Chinese travellers from Hubei into Singapore.

While the barring of visitors begins on Wednesday, no new visas will be issued with immediate effect to China nationals with passports issued in Hubei.

Additionally, short-term visas and multiple visit visas previously issued to those with the affected passports will also be considered invalid and visa-free transit facilities will be suspended for them.

Returning permanent residents (PRs) and long-term pass holders with China passports issued in Hubei will also be quarantined upon arrival at Singapore.

Other measures that the government is putting in place include placing those who have travelled to Hubei within the last 14 days in quarantine. This includes Singaporeans, permanent residents and those with long-term visas like work passes.

Anyone who has travelled to Hubei recently or those with Hubei-issued passports will be placed under quarantine if they have assessed to be of higher risk, for example, if they have been in contact with anyone who has the Wuhan virus or has recently visited a hospital in China.

MOH also reminded the public that quarantine orders have legal force with severe penalties for those who do not comply.

Two new cases in Singapore brings total up to 7

The ministry also provided details of the two new cases. The first is a 56-year-old Chinese national who had arrived in Singapore on 18 January. He was staying with his family in their home at Pasir Ris Cove. He went to Changi General Hospital on 25 January after developing a cough.

The other case is that of a 35-year-old Chinese national who arrived in the country on 23 January and stayed at Marina Bay Sands. He developed symptoms the next day and went to Raffles Hospital for treatment on his own.

Both tested positive for the novel coronavirus infection on Tuesday night.

MOH said that all seven patients are in stable condition.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Many S’poreans feel abandoned due to Govt’s generosity and love for foreigners, says PV chief Lim Tean

Today’s Facebook Live broadcast by the Peoples Voice (PV) featured a pre-recorded…

尚穆根:正积极与宗教团体咨询修订《维持宗教和谐法令》意见

内政部长兼律政部长尚穆根表示《维持宗教和谐法令》(Maintenance of Religious Harmony Act)近期或将进行修订。 尚穆根尚穆根周三(24日)下午,出席李光耀公共政策学院政策研究所和内政部联办的宗教、极端主义和认同感政治研讨会时,透露政府正积极与不同宗教团体咨询意见。 《维持宗教和谐法令》于80年代末,由已故总理李光耀提出,为当时打击当时的宗教狂热分子与稳定不同宗教之间的冲突而制定。该法令允许政府对煽动者下达限制令。 该法令于1990年制定,并于1992年生效,至今未曾被援引。尚穆根说,会取得公众共识,在国会进行讨论。 尚穆根表示,“大致上他们都同意我们所修订的方向。”但也未透露太多细节。 尚穆根认为该法就如同社会上的一把量尺,测量与警示社会操守与政治意愿,避免人民超越该有的警示线。 “我相信拥有权力(该法令)的意义,但我也相信不应随意运用,一旦使用,这社会将不会是你所乐见的”他说。 此番言论可见两点:将有效打击“宗教贬义言论”,以及重申宗教和谐的承诺,避免任何政治因素与挑拨者导致政教分离。…

Feedback on SBS Transit's Express Service

I am writing in to seek clarification from SBS Transit on their…

食用学院餐厅餐点后腹泻 22国大生食物中毒

22名新加坡国立大学(NUS)的宿舍生在宿舍餐厅用餐后,出现腹泻症状,其中一人更需住院留医。 一个熟悉情况的消息人士于周四(4月4日)告诉《海峡时报》指出,受影响的学生于星期二和星期三,曾在岭景寄宿型学院(Ridge View Residential College)的餐厅用餐。 食物由Chartwell提供 有关消息指出,他们大多食用了马来摊位的食物。该餐厅也提供西餐和亚洲餐食,皆有餐饮供应商Chartwell提供。 受影响的学生向校方报告说,他们出现腹泻症状,且不得不寻求医疗。 卫生部和新加坡食品局(SFA)于周四发布联合声明,表示当局正在调查岭景寄宿型学院的肠胃炎(Gastroenteritis)事件。 截至周四下午4时30分,已经有22人出现类似症状,其中一名出现呕吐和腹泻症状的学生必须住院,目前情况稳定。 当局周四在寄宿学院食堂展开调查。 岭景寄宿型学院于2014年4月成立。国大发言人指出,国大住宿服务办公室在星期二接到有关事件的通报。…