Image via Aizuddin Saad/Shutterstock

Senior Minister of State for Transport Dr Lam Pin Min announced in Parliament last week (4 November) that personal mobility devices (PMDs) will be banned from footpaths starting 5th November.
The move sparked outcry from PMD users, especially those who rely on the devices for their jobs as food delivery partners. According to the Ministry of Transport (MOT), there are an estimated 7,000 food delivery riders in Singapore who use PMDs, the majority of whom work with Grab.
As the ban was announced, the government also introduced a nationwide S$7 million programme to help food delivery riders trade-in their PMDs for alternative devices, offering a grant of up to S$1000 per person depending on the alternative device of their choosing. This e-scooter trade-in grant is one part of the Transition Assistance Package (TAP), explained MOT in a press release (8 Nov).
One of the first food delivery companies to announced details on the programme is Grab, which had warned its customers that there may be delays and increased cancellation in orders during this period as their riders switch to alternative modes of transport.
On their website, Grab announced that GrabFood delivery riders will qualify for a grant to trade in their electric scooters for an alternative mobility device if they have made at least one trip between 9 October and 7 November.
Those who have devices registered with the Land Transport Authority (LTA) as per the regulation and have completed at least 20 rides during that period will be able to receive the full grant value. Those who have completed less than 20 rides will first receive 80% of the grant, with the remaining 20% being disbursed after they have completed 20 rides within the first 20 days after they’ve submitted their claim.
Riders can apply for the grant on the Grab website, and the applications will be submitted to the LTA at the end of each day. Riders will be informed of their applications are successful after about two days. Once approved, riders can purchase a new mobility device – either an e-bike or a bicycle – before trading in their e-scooters and receiving the reimbursement within three days.
The scheme starts on Friday, 15 November.
Grab is also partnering with five companies to allow their riders to either rent bikes for free from Singapore’s largest bike-sharing operator SG Bike or purchase them at a discount from retailers like WarehouseSG, My Bike Shop, Hello Bicycle, and Cannasia.
For those who want to use a motorcycle instead, Grab is offering ‘preferred leasing rates’ with its partners, Pyro Leasing and GP Motoring.
In MOT’s statement, the other two components of the TAP is geared towards helping food delivery riders affected by the ban who no longer want to work in that line. First, assistance will be provided by NTUC under their Employment and Employability Institute (e2i) and Workforce Singapore (WSG) to provide career services and job search support to food delivery riders seeking a shift in careers.
The third component is the provision of temporary financial assistance by the Ministry of Social and Family Development and ComCare schemes for those who have been affected by the ban. Riders are advised to approach the nearest social service officer or PA Community Club for help.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Trio arrested for suspected involvement in two cases of impersonation of police officer scam

Singapore Police Force (SPF) has arrested three men, aged between 20 and…

报导台湾节目谈论何晶薪资 财政部拒撤回更正指示

本月19日,财政部长则援引《防假消息法》,对本社、 Temasek Review、网络论坛 HardwareZone的账号 “darksiedluv”和人民之声党领袖林鼎,发出更正指示。 事缘台湾东森新闻评论节目《关键时刻》,其中一名时评员黄世聪,声称新加坡总理夫人兼淡马锡首席执行长何晶,年薪近21亿台币(近一亿新元)。 本社跟进报导,淡马锡控股也特地发文反驳相关说法, 不过未点名上述节目。 尽管本社已在19日晚上7时提出上诉,不过遗憾的是财政部已在昨日(21日)答复,拒绝撤回有关更正指示。不过本社将在未来几天向高庭提出申请。 本社在上诉中,指该部并未明确指出本社相关跟进报导哪部分含有虚假陈述,且报导乃是有关台湾时评节目和该时评员作出的揣测。 本社也询问“防假消息法”办公处,是否有对有关台湾媒体发出更正指示,不过据了解财政部并未发出指示,要求上述台湾媒体更正。 去年五月,第二财政部长兼国家发展部长黄循财曾表示,新加坡政府投资公司(GIC)与淡马锡控股(Temasek…

TAFEP says will look into discriminatory job recruitment adv that offered $2,500 to $3,700 for various appointments in Singapore

On Mon (19 Jul), the Tripartite Alliance for Fair and Progressive Employment…

Amos Yee’s former bailor clarifies molest allegation

16-year old blogger, Amos Yee, who was found guilty of the two charges…