Kallang Basin Swimming Complex (Photo: Active.sg)

In December 2017, six-year-old Sherlyn Ler, who did not know how to float or swim independently without support, died after a near-drowning at Kallang Basin Swimming Complex.

It all started on 20 December 2017 when the little girl was left to fend on her own for at least four minutes as she swam using a swimming board. Her instructor, Yeo Chwee Chuan, was said to assist her till the pool’s mid-point during her 7pm lesson before allowing her to swim to the edge independently.

However, he moved away and gave his attention to his other students, aged six and eight years old.

It was revealed via CCTV footage that the two lifeguards who were near the teaching pool, one of them was engrossed in his phone while the other spent time arranging chairs.

Due to their negligence, the girl died in hospital on 9 January last year from lack of oxygen and blood flowing to the brain after the near-drowning.

In an inquiry into her death on 2 April (Tuesday), State Coroner Kamala Ponnampalam said, “The lifeguard should not be distracted by the use of his personal devices or idle chit-chat. He should never leave his post unguarded. Drowning is known to occur quickly and quietly between 20 and 60 seconds.”

She also condemned Mr Yeo’s lesson management, noting his class formation was “poor”.

According to The Straits Times (ST), Mr Yeo’s coaching licence has been suspended by Sport Singapore and Firdaus Rajatmarican and Law Kum Wah, the two lifeguards who left the pool unattended for at least four minutes, were no longer lifeguards.

Upon reading this news, Jose Raymond of Singapore People’s Party took his Facebook to say that civil action should be taken against the swimming instructor and Sport Singapore for this tragedy.

Mr Raymond, formerly vice-president of partnerships of Singapore Swimming Association, said that suspending the instructor’s coaching licenses and disallowing the two individuals to no longer be lifeguards is “scant consolation for the family who lost a child”.

He added, “Sport Singapore should also explain to the public what it has done to improve the work attitude of its lifeguards at all its swimming complex, and should also share if this lackadaisical attitude (one was arranging chairs while the other was on his mobile device) by the two lifeguards on duty on that fateful day is isolated or ingrained.”

Besides that, he also wants Sport Singapore to reveal what it’s doing to “enhance the early detection of near-drowning incidents at all pools” since the computer vision drowning detection system which was announced during the Budget debates will only be made available to 26 public pools, with only 11 pools to have the system by April 2020.

“Safety is everyone’s responsibility but there is a responsibility of the public agency in ensuring that its facilities are safe, and with the right people in charge in their various roles,” he wrote.

Besides Mr Raymond, many netizens also blamed the coach and lifeguards for not doing their job well which resulted in the death of an innocent child. Some even condemned the lifeguards for using their phones on the job, and they should be heavily punished, which will serve as a reminder to others.

Over 500 comments were written on ST’s Facebook page.

Others said that a parent should also not rely completely on the coach and lifeguards to take care of their kids. They should also keep an eye on their kids to ensure their safety. A bunch of netizens also suggested that mobile phones should not be allowed to be brought into the swimming pool area.

Winson Teo said that swimming instructors should teach kids to response during emergency situation. He felt that their first few lessons “should focus on self rescue instead of just kick start on swimming lesson”.

 

 

 

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Credit Card Choices Show More People are Making Informed Decisions

Malaysians Want Tit for Tat: Credit Card Choices Show More People are…

Singaporeans seen flooding IKEA over the weekend before the closure of businesses for "circuit breaking"

On 3 April, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced the closure of…

马国公民组织要求公布513档案 慕尤丁:未接到类似要求

513事件发生至今已半世纪,但伤痕留在马来西亚人民心中难忘,且513事件发生的肇因至今仍没公布。513系列活动工委会主席陈亚才,于上周进行公祭仪式上,要求政府为此事件 “解惑” ;但是内政部长丹斯里慕尤丁则表示,政府并没有接获类似的正式要求。 据马国媒体《东方日报》报导,上周末(5月11日)早上9时,在双溪毛糯513墓园,维护513墓园工委会、林连玉基金属下文化资产保存基金、隆雪华民权委员会、妇女组和青年团联合举办了公祭仪式。除了雪州高级行政议员拿督邓章钦、万扰州议员蔡伟杰、陈亚才和吉隆坡广东义山李振光等人,有包括罹难者家属和幸存者在内,将近百人出席。 百人出席公祭仪式 出席者在活动开始时,为罹难者默哀1分钟后,各大宗教团体的代表在获得主办单位邀请下,在现场进行宗教仪式。出席的宗教代表有伊斯兰教、佛教、道教、基督教、天主教和兴都教等。 文化工作者在现场进行诗歌朗诵,在现场乐器伴奏下,现场一片严肃萧瑟,有者甚至哭出来。出席者随后为每一个墓碑、无论有没有名字记载,都献上鲜花,公祭仪式才正式结束。 陈亚才在活动上致辞时表示,今年的513事件公祭主题为“解惑”,即接触人民的迷惑和困惑,也希望此事不会再成为恐吓和挟持的工具。他也呼吁更多客观、更理性和全面的分析,以便达到有关目的。但是因为513事件受到国家机密限制,很多相关的档案蒙尘至今,影响并局限研究范围。 因此他促请政府解除有关的机密限制并开放资料供研究,让历史研究得以深化并且取得突破性的进展。 将513墓园列雪兰莪保留地 他也呼吁雪州政府将513墓园在宪报上列为保留地,并将该土地指定为州属文化遗产。 雪州高级行政议员拿督邓章钦在致辞上回应了陈亚才的呼吁,表示雪州政府同意将513墓园列为保留地,并且已经展开土地测量和资料收集工作,料半年内会有好消息。…