Mr Chiang Chie Foo has been appointed by the Public Utilities Board (PUB) to take over from Mr Tan Gee Paw as Chairman with effect from 1 April 2017.
Mr Tan will be stepping down after helming the water agency since 2001.
Mr Chiang Chie Foo (郑子富), 61 years old, retired from the Civil Service in 2013.
He joined the Administrative Service in 1981 after graduating with a Bachelor of Electronic Engineering (Honours) Degree from the University of Western Australia on a Colombo Plan Scholarship.
He subsequently obtained a Masters of Public Administration in 1988 from the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, USA.
His previous appointments include key positions as Director, Internal Security Department in the Ministry of Home Affairs from 1993 to 1997, and Principal Private Secretary to then-Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong from 1990 to 1992.
Mr Chiang was also appointed as Second Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, in 1997, and subsequently as Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, in 1999 till 2004.
He held the appointment of Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Defence from 2004 to 2013 and was then concurrently appointed as Permanent Secretary, Prime Minister’s Office, in Dec 2005 until August 2011.
As a commendation of his distinguished service in the public sector, Mr Chiang was awarded the Public Administration Medal (Gold) in 1997, the Long Service Medal in 2004 and the Meritorious Service Medal in 2007.
The agency also announced other board changes with all new appointments to take effect on 1 April 2017:
Appointment of New Board Members
- Mr Abu Bakar bin Mohd Nor, Managing Director, Keppel Singmarine Pte Ltd.
- Mr S Thiagarajan, Director (Strategy), Freelancers and Self-Employed Unit, NTUC.
- Mr Tan Siong Leng, Deputy Chief Executive, URA (retired).
Re-Appointment of Board Members
- Ms Janet Ang, Vice President, Systems of Engagement & Smarter Cities, IBM Asia Pacific.
- Prof Quek Tong Boon, Chief Executive, National Robotics Programme; and Chief Scientific Advisor, Ministry of Trade and Industry.
- Prof Chan Eng Soon, Provost’s Chair Professor, Faculty of Engineering, NUS.
- Mr Tan Wah Yeow, Deputy Managing Partner, KPMG Singapore.
- Ms Rachel Eng, Deputy Chairman, WongPartnership LLP.
- Mr Chan Beng Seng, Director (Sector Development & Commissioning) / (Healthcare Finance, Resourcing), MOH.
Stepping down of Board Members (upon completion of term on 31 March 2017)
- Mr Lim How Teck, Chairman, Redwood International Pte Ltd.
- Mr Zainal bin Sapari, Director, Centre for Contract & Casual Workers, NTUC.