Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) condemns the attack at the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Centre Canada on Sunday (29 January) during evening prayers, which killed six people and injured eight others.
The Ministry also noted that there were no Singaporeans hurt during the incident.
Local media said that the Police investigates the case as terrorism act towards Muslims.
An eyewitness told Radio-Canada that there were two men entering the mosque and started yelling in a strong Quebecois accent. However, he was not able to recall what the gunman said as his attention drew to people who were suddenly hurt.
“As soon as I saw the person that was near me fall, we all threw ourselves on the ground,” he said.
There were 39 other people inside by the time of the incident who were, fortunately, not injured.
It was said that there were two suspects arrested in relation to this incident. One of the suspects was caught not far from the mosque. While, the other was arrested near Ile-d’Orleans, just east of Quebec City’s downtown core.
While the Police have not yet given any official information, local media Le Soleil wrote that it had obtained information that one of the suspects was a 27-year-old with “a Québec name”. While, the other had an AK-47 automatic weapon in his possession.
Live video posted by Centre Culture Islamique de Québec Facebook page showed the immediate response by emergency crews in the Sainte-Foy neighbourhood. Police cars and people were seen in the video.
In June last year, a pig’s head was placed in front of the mosque. Zebida Bendjeddou who left the mosque on Sunday evening told CNBC, “We thought: ‘Oh, they’re isolated events.’ We didn’t take it seriously. But tonight, those isolated events, they take on a different scope.”
Canadian prime minister condemns the act, calling this incident as “terrorist attack on Muslims”, saying, “We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge.”
Here is what Singapore’s MFA wrote in full:
MFA Spokesman’s Comments on the Attack at the Islamic Cultural Centre in Quebec City, Canada on 29 January 2017
Singapore strongly condemns the heinous attack at the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Centre on 29 January 2017 during evening prayers which has resulted in the loss of lives and injuries. There can be no justification for an attack on a sacred place of worship. We extend our deepest condolences to the bereaved families.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has contacted the four registered Singaporeans in Quebec and they are safe. Thus far, we have not received any reports of Singaporeans directly affected or injured by the incident.
Singaporeans in Canada are advised to exercise vigilance and take the necessary precautions for their safety. They should monitor the local news and follow the instructions of the Canadian authorities. They are also advised to keep in touch with their family and friends so that they know you are safe.