Passengers waited for CCL train on 20 September (Source : ahsa_sim Instagram account).

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) and Singapore Mass Rapid Transit (SMRT) has issued a joint statement on investigations into the cause of the intermittent loss of signalling communications between the trains and tracks on the Circle Line (CCL) which had led to the automatic activation of the trains’ emergency brakes.

They stated that a series of tests had been conducted with the train manufacturer Alstom and concluded that an interfering signal could have disrupted the trains’ signalling systems and leading to the loss of communications.

Engineers have tried to establish the source of the interfering signals over the past two weeks. However, as the incidents had ceased by the afternoon of 2 September 2016, they were unable to determine the source.

LTA and SMRT said that it would install spectrum analysers within the CCL tunnels to detect the presence of any interfering signal. This measure will be extended to the North East Line, which has the same signalling system.

They added that an electromagnetic shield would be placed on  trains to minimise the impact of interfering signals as part of feasibility studies to strengthen the existing signalling communications network. The possibility of changing the signal system frequency and/or modifying the system  in the event of signal interference would also be explored.

Between  29 August to 2 September 2016, the CCL experienced  intermittent signalling issues for five days in a row which caused a build up of commuters at stations and delay in travel times. On the first day, SMRT also alerted passengers to hold onto handrails as trains may experience intermittent braking.

Passengers at the station on 29 August (Source : Diana Teixeira Twitter account).
Passengers at the station on 29 August (Source : Diana Teixeira Twitter account).
Passengers at Yishun Station on 30 August (Source : Richard Jang Twitter account).
Passengers at Yishun Station on 30 August (Source : Richard Jang Twitter account).
Passengers at Bishan station (Source : Ariel Twitter account).
Passengers at Bishan station on 1 September (Source : Ariel Twitter account).
Circle Line jam on 2 September.
Circle Line jam on 2 September (Source : Twitter).

On 2 September, SMRT announced that mobile networks for Circle Line (CCL) would be  shut down for two hours  to  check for possible interference between the telecommunications network and train signalling system during peak hours when most of the incidents had occurred.

However, the fault still could not be found. So the SMRT and LTA are attempting  to use the electromagnetic shield on trains in an attempt for forestall signal interference. But without  establishing the cause, means the fault may reoccur  as it did on 20 September when  trains experienced 15 minutes slower traveling time which again caused delays.

Passngeres waited for CCL train at the station (Source : Ariel Twitter account).
Passengers waited for CCL train at the station on 20 September (Source : Ariel Twitter account).

 

 

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Flash floods in parts of S’pore due to heavy rain; vehicles seen trapped at flooded Tampines-Pasir Ris junction

Heavy downpours have caused flash floods and major traffic jams in some…

COVID-19 highlights the thinness of Singapore's social protection for the underprivileged, says Yeoh Lam Keong

On Saturday, the Workers’ Party (WP) Youth Wing organised an online Zoom…

Deliveroo unveils details of trade-in grant scheme to support its e-scooter delivery riders during transition period

Following the ban – which came into commencement on 5 November –…

马国两甘榜出现61确诊遭“封锁” 非居民不得入村

马来西亚柔佛州两个地区,居銮新邦令金两个甘榜出现冠状病毒19确诊病例多达61起,当地政府立即宣布对两村实施加强行动管制令(Enhanced Movement Control Order),禁止居民出门,福利局负责膳食安排。 居銮县出现的83起确诊病例中,有61起来自两个甘榜:甘榜拿督依布拉欣玛吉,以及拿督依布拉欣玛吉新镇。 国防部高级部长拿督斯里依斯迈沙比利昨晚发文告指出,政府经卫生部劝告,为防止疫情扩散,决定将这两个地区列为“重灾区”,即日起实施加强行动管制令,直到4月9日结束。 受影响的居民包括当地的650户,3570名居民,以及逗留在当地的游客。 所有出入口关闭 在禁令实施期间,当地居民和游客都不得离开住所,外人也不能进入,所有出入口都被关闭。社会福利局将会为当地人提供14天的基本食物,商业活动都必须停止,只有医疗机构开放。 此外,当局也会进行沿户检测,以及进行病例个案调查活动。 依斯迈沙比利指出,大马皇家警察、武装部队、民防部队、志愿警卫队成员都会加入管制相关区域,确保禁令完善执行。 他促请居民保持冷静,和卫生部及相关当局充分配合。