PUTRAJAYA, MALAYSIA —  Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said a White Paper on Pedra Branca (Pulau Batu Puteh) will be prepared and tabled in Parliament for further action.

“This is because of the special task force’s report protested the (government’s) decision not to appeal (the 2008 International Court of Justice (ICJ) decision) which caused Malaysia to lose its territory (Batu Puteh), and you know that in any country, losing territory is a huge problem,” Mr Anwar explained.

However, he said he had assured Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong that the decision made by Malaysia would not affect the good bilateral relations between the two countries.

“(It also) does not affect the status of Batu Puteh, which now belongs to Singapore according to the ICJ decision.”

During a press conference after chairing the Cabinet meeting on Wednesday (8 Feby), Mr Anwar announced that the Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Law and Institutional Reform), Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said, will be preparing the paper.

“The Cabinet discussed at length the measures that should be taken, and now we decided to leave it to the wisdom of the parliament after providing complete information with the real situation,” he added.

Malaysia’s next parliamentary sitting is scheduled to begin its first sitting on 13 February.

The prolong dispute over Pedra Branca between Singapore and Malaysia

Located approximately 40 kilometres off eastern Singapore, Malaysia had staked a claim to Batu Puteh as it published a map of its territorial waters and continental shelf boundaries back in 1979.

Following this, Singapore protested this in 1980, subsequently bringing the issue to the ICJ in 2003.

After careful deliberation, five years later, the ICJ awarded the sovereignty of Batu Puteh to Singapore, leaving the Middle Rocks ((Batuan Tengah)) to Malaysia.

The then Barisan Nasional government filed an application in 2017 for a review of ICJ’s decision.

In 2018, as advised by then-AG Tan Sri Tommy Thomas, the Pakatan Harapan government led by Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad decided to withdraw the application before the case was heard on 11 June that year.

On 27 January this year, Attorney General Tan Sri Idrus Harun revealed that Unity Government Cabinet was of the view that the decision to withdraw the application was “not in order” and “improper”.

Mr Anwar had earlier urged Singapore to examine the reclamations carried out in the Batu Puteh area to ensure they were not affecting the environment and the country’s borders with Malaysia.

 

Subscribe
Notify of
2 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Singapore’s MOH looking for recruitment agency to help recruit 240 doctors from India

The Singapore Ministry of Health (MOH) through its company, MOH Holdings Pte…

Will Josephine Teo continue to fund SMT at S$180m a year after the revelation of SMT “faking” its circulation data?

At the Parliamentary sitting on 15 February last year, the Minister for…

MSF reports 40% decrease in rough sleepers, but temporary shelter occupancy increases sixfold from 2019 to 2021

Singapore’s Ministry of Social and Family Development has reported a significant decrease in rough sleepers from 921 in 2019 to 530 in 2022. However, a veteran blogger in Singapore, Leong Sze Hian, has pointed out that while the number of rough sleepers decreased, the occupancy in temporary shelters had increased by more than sixfold, from 65 to 420, from 2019-2021. This means that only half the story is being told, and the full statistics on homelessness in Singapore are yet to be released.

Anwar wins confidence vote from Malaysian MPs but Opposition Leader claims it is merely a “gimmick”

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA — The motion of confidence for Prime Minister Datuk…