As of Friday noon (23 Apr), the Ministry of Health (MOH) has preliminarily confirmed an additional 39 cases of COVID-19 infection in Singapore.
This brings the total number of infection cases to 60,943.
There are three new cases of locally transmitted COVID-19 infection.
“Based on our investigations so far, 2 are in the community, and 1 resides in a dormitory,” said MOH.
In addition, there are 36 imported cases, who had been placed on Stay-Home Notice (SHN) upon arrival in Singapore.
Amongst them, 16 are Singaporeans or Permanent Residents (PRs), and six are foreign domestic workers (FDWs).
The Ministry will share further updates in its press release tonight.
Singapore to ban non-resident visitors from India starting 23 April “until further notice”
All long-term pass holders and short term visitors who have been in India within the last two weeks will not be allowed entry or transit through Singapore starting from Friday (23 Apr) at 11.59pm “until further notice”, said the Ministry of Health (MOH) on Thursday (22 Apr).
The announcement came after 11 migrant workers of Westlite Woodlands dormitory were tested positive for the COVID-19 virus, of which 10 of them have initially recovered from the disease.
In a statement, MOH noted that while there is no evidence that the cases are linked to the new strain from India, many of the arrivals from India are workers in the construction, marine, and process sectors.
“Even with our control measures, there is still a risk that a leak may happen, and cause another wave of infection in the dormitories. It is also a concern that recovered workers (i.e. those who had been infected earlier) are susceptible to being re-infected,” it said.
As such, the Ministry has decided to further tighten border measures with India.