Following the rising number of COVID-19 infections in Hong Kong, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) announced on Tuesday (1 Dec) that the Singapore-Hong Kong air travel bubble (ATB) will be further deferred to beyond December 2020.

In a press statement earlier today, CAAS said that both Singapore and Hong Kong have decided to defer the ATB upon reviewing the COVID-19 situation in Hong Kong – in which the local unlinked cases in Hong Kong are still high.

“The exact start date of the ATB arrangement will be reviewed in late December,” it added.

CAAS also advised passengers to contact their airlines regarding their travel plans, adding that both countries “have been in close discussion”, and will provide any update when there are further developments.

Earlier on 21 November, Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung had said that the ATB – which was initially set to commence on 22 November – will be deferred for two weeks due to the evolving COVID-19 situation in Hong Kong.

“Given the evolving situation in Hong Kong, Secretary Edward Yau and I discussed further this afternoon, and decided that it would be better to defer the launch of the ATB, by two weeks,” Mr Ong wrote on his Facebook.

He added that the Government will review the new launch date, and provide an update within a fortnight.

“I can fully understand the disappointment and frustration of travellers who have planned their trips. But we think it is better to defer from a public health standpoint,” the Minister added.

Mr Ong also assured that the airlines will be contacting all travellers individually on the deferment.

“This is a sober reminder that the COVID-19 virus is still with us, and even as we fight to regain our normal lives, the journey will be full of ups and downs. But we will press on and look forward to when we can safely launch the ATB,” he asserted.

Hong Kong has seen a fourth wave of COVID-19 infections as the daily cases have risen above 100 in recent days, prompting the authorities to reimposed social distancing measures at some of their strictest levels in the city since the start of the coronavirus pandemic

Hong Kong’s chief executive Carrie Lam told reporters that the authorities also plan to increase the current HK$2,000 (S$260) spot fines, and will launch a hotline for residents to report social distancing breaches.

“Police will also play a more proactive role in stopping breaches and going after private venues hosting parties or large gatherings,” she added.

As of Monday (30 Nov), Hong Kong has reported total of 6,315 cases so far, with 109 deaths.

A total of 780 cases have been recorded in the past 14 days, including 694 local cases of which 143 are from unknown sources, according to the city’s Centre for Health Protection of the Department of Health.

Subscribe
Notify of
3 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

无可避免的办公室流言:四成员工无意中得知同事薪水

供稿来源:卡巴斯基实验室(Kaspersky Lab) 俗话说,“数据就是金钱”。有时候确实如此——例如有人碰巧看到一张记录同事薪水的试算表格(spreadsheet)。 根据卡巴斯基实验室近期进行的民调,几乎四成(37巴仙)的员工,都承认在无意间发现有关他们同事的机密信息,例如工资和奖金。 工资单明细(Payroll details),也只是存储在企业服务器上敏感个人数据的其中一种。如在安全和访问权限的防范做得不足导致数据泄露,不仅会破坏团队精神,还可能导致更为严重的后果:网络攻击、因保护个资不力惨遭罚款,甚至被受影响的员工起诉。 个人工作文件容易被未经授权人士登入访问,其中一个可能因素是,仅不到一半(43巴仙)的员工会定期检查,以及修改共享文档或协作企划的访问权限。 应定期检查访问权限 当有人离职或调入同一个公司的另一个部门时,他们的访问权限应当立刻被取消。否则,将会给组织及有关岗位的同事带来风险。 这些情况是一种更大问题的一部分,称为“数码杂乱”(digital clutter)。数字杂乱指的没有经过妥善预防措施保存的工作文件,被不受控制地散布和共享。 缺乏有效的规章和政策来管理数据,可能会导致员工对公司内外的文件流动的责任感到模糊和普遍不关心。…

Singapore falls to 160 in 2021 World Press Freedom index; situation classified as “very bad”

Singapore continues its descent at the World Press Freedom ranking in 2021,…

LKY Controversial: LGBT – “It’s a genetic variation”

Mr Lee Kuan Yew was never one to shy away from the…