The People’s Voice Party (PVP) had previously demanded measures to reduce the impact of COVID-19 outbreak on the society which the government is ‘only now getting around to contemplating’, the PVP’s founding chief Lim Tean wrote on Facebook on Wednesday (11 March).

Mr Lim said the party voices out its opinion on how the country can do more to lessen the impact of the virus outbreak on its platform everyday, adding that the People’s Action Party (PAP)’s early measures were not adequate enough to contain the virus.

“Our demand for schools to close has shown how ill-prepared and backward our MOE are in delivering our curriculum online. We are not tech-smart in our education and this is damning,” he noted.

On 23 February, the party demanded that passengers arriving from South Korea should be denied entry into Singapore due to the increasing number of COVID-19 cases in South Korea. However, the government only started to impose the ban 10 days later.

Mr Lim further explained that the party has listed out the kind of budget that is required to tackle the economic fallout resulted from the outbreak and advised for a budget that can stimulate spending, such as an immediate 2% reduction on GST, an emergency loan fund for the small businesses, rental pauses, taxi rental fees cut, and more.

Now that the government is considering a “second package”, Mr Lim hopes that it will include the measures that the party has called for.

“From the very first few days we called for travel restrictions from mainland China, social distancing, mask distribution, cancel of Chingay, work-from home measures where possible, a national hotline to stop people going to their clinics and hospitals and many more,” he remarked.

Nevertheless, Mr Lim hinted that most of the demanded measures were never done by the government and the implementation of travel restrictions in the country was too late.

He said the party will continue to carry the duty of an opposition party in the country and will not be afraid to call out those who are responsible to manage the crisis.

“We are not yet in Parliament, but when we are, our voices will remain just as strong, just as pro-active and with more impact because the PAP will not be able to pretend to ignore us, their MSM will have to report our position and the PAP will have to learn to think on their feet in order to respond to the Peoples Voice questions directed at them,” Mr Lim noted.

PVP also encouraged the people to share, like, and comment on posts, as well as to use the information to demand more from the Member of Parliaments (MPs), Ministry of Health (MOH), Ministry of Education (MOE), and other departments.

“I was heartened that it was NETIZENS that forced the stop of the LKY coins last week. It showed 2 very important points. Firstly that the PAP is neck-deep in Yes men and Yes women, so many tax-paid people who do not have the courage or the presence of mind to speak out and say when something is wrong (LKY was explicit he didn’t want such idolatry about him),” he said. “Secondly and more importantly it took the actions and collective voice of netizens to force change – and they won!”

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Charity Xmas performance by Cathay Pacific

Post by theonlinecitizen. 300 Cathay Pacific Frontline Team comprising Cabin Crew, Cockpit…

日本遇61年最强台风海贝丝 造成74死218人受伤

今年第19号台风海贝丝侵袭日本,截至今日已造成至少74人丧生、12人失踪、218人受伤,逾万栋民宅淹水。另外,惊人雨势也导致大范围洪灾,全日本共有52条河川、73处堤防被大水冲毁。 此次台风造成严重死伤,根据日本放送协会(NHK)统计已知,死伤最严重的区域包括福岛县27人、神奈川县14人、宫城县14人。另外,枥木县与群马县各4人、长野县3人、埼玉县、岩手县、茨城县各2人、静冈县与千叶县各1人。 而目前,神奈川县、福岛县等6县共12人下落不明。全日本统计共218人受伤。 日本国土交通省(交通部)表示,台风海贝丝亦带来豪雨导致日本多条河川溃堤,截至15日3点,全日本7县共52条河川,有73处溃堤,而其中发生土石流、山崩等案件共有170件。 此外,日本报导指出,至少1万3000栋以上的屋舍浸水,1000栋以上屋舍全毁或部分损毁。 动用10万余人救援,交通停驶停飞,多家商店暂停营业 针对救援行动,日本共动用了约11万人就难包括警方、海上保安廳、消防廳和自衛隊。对此,日本首相安倍表示,没有放松搜救工作,将持续夜以继日就难和搜寻失踪者。 此次被誉为是日本61年来最强台风,在台风登陆前,已造成一人死亡、10人受伤,另有一人失踪。日本政府曾将140万人民发出疏散令,而且许多超商、超市、百货公司宣布暂停营业。民众在台风登陆前已纷纷到超市抢购食品存量,多家超商的便当、面包类商品被抢购一空。 不仅如此,东京迪士尼乐园亦因台风来袭首度宣布全天暂停营业。日本各铁路公司如东海旅客铁路、日本铁路公司、东京地下铁公司、小田急电铁公司等也为因应台风而宣布部分铁路“计划性停驶”。 其中备受台风影响的东京成田机场、羽田机场、大阪关西机场等,亦陆续有班机停飞或延迟情况,以因应台风的到来。周日(13日)宣布台风已经有所减弱并逐渐离开陆地。 救援过程频传人为疏失争议 除了天灾引起的伤亡,此次在救援行动过程中亦出现人为引起的争议。…

Indranee Rajah: CPIB investigations did not reveal any connection with a government agency or contract where corruption by ST Marine occurred so the company is not debarred from govt contracts

Debarment from participating in government contracts is a separate and distinct exercise…

新加坡保安协会质疑评估制 吁当局改善现有评估标准

新加坡保安协会发表措辞强烈声明,对政府最新的保安机构评估结果持质疑态度,认为当局有必要改善评估标准和方法。 该协会代表国内180个保安机构。协会执行董事依山(Ikhsan)认为,评估结果获得A级与B级的保安机构,都和去年相仿,可能给予外界印象,认为他们并没有进步。 保安协会认为,现有制度根据钟形曲线(bell curve)评级,但尽管总得分95以上的机构有增长三分之一,惟仅63家机构能获得A评级。 针对上述协会的声明,内政部则在昨日傍晚回应,指评估制一项透明,所有保安机构都清楚,再者更改评估制也有是咨询过业界,且事先知会各机构。 自从2009年推行以来,该评估制协助提升保安业的专业和水准;大部分业者都维持和提升评估表现,至于连年表现欠佳者责备吊销执照。 政府在去年起调整保安业分级制评估标准,旨在针对这些保安机构表现,进行独立的年度评估。这些评估类别分为:程序(35巴仙)、人员(22巴仙)、系统与科技(20巴仙)、雇佣制度(15巴仙)以及反恐(8巴仙)。 评级具商业意义  客户货比三家 今年共有235家保安机构参与评估,多达63家获得A级(26.81巴仙)、105家获B评级(44.68巴仙)以及64家得到C评级。仅3家保安机构获得D级。 依山也补充,评级对于保安机构具有商业意义,客户会根据评级货比三家。 保安员的处境…