Source: 2014startagain Instagram account.

by Yan ZHAO / Xinqi SU

Tens of thousands of pro-democracy marchers thronged the streets of Hong Kong for a massive rally on New Year’s Day, looking to carry the momentum of their movement into 2020 as police and hardcore demonstrators faced off again.

Hong Kong has been battered by nearly seven months of often-violent unrest, with frequent clashes between the police and hardcore protesters as the city battles its biggest political crisis in decades.

Despite a peaceful start on Wednesday, violence erupted near the march as it snaked through the Wan Chai district on the financial hub’s main island. Riot police used pepper spray and tear gas, while hardcore protesters lobbed Molotov cocktails.

The Civil Human Rights Front, the umbrella group which organised the march, had permission for the march from city authorities, but they were ordered to end it soon after the clashes began.

“The police have… asked us to dismiss the rally,” the organisers told marchers using megaphones. “Please calmly and slowly leave the scene right now.”

In now-familiar scenes, riot police were seen taking positions at several locations, including the Wan Chai subway station.

Black-clad, masked protesters also gathered to set up makeshift barricades, while some businesses were vandalised in the afternoon.

The unrest in Hong Kong was sparked by a proposal to allow extraditions to mainland China, bringing millions out on to the streets in June last year. It has since morphed into a larger revolt against what many fear is Beijing’s tightening control.

Despite the continued unrest, China and the Hong Kong administration have refused to cede to the protesters’ demands, which include fully free elections in the city, an inquiry into alleged police misconduct, and amnesty for the nearly 6,500 people arrested during the movement — nearly a third of them under the age of 20.

“It is sad that our demands from 2019 need to be carried forward to 2020,” the CHRF’s Jimmy Sham said at the start of the rally.

Activists have accused the police of brutality and rights violations, while city authorities — and the central government in Beijing — have accused pro-democracy protesters of rioting.

China has also alleged that the unrest has been fanned by foreign powers, and has bristled at criticism from rights groups and governments of the way the protests have been handled so far.

‘Hopeless situation’

Hong Kong saw in the new year with an evening of peaceful protests that descended into tear gas-choked clashes between hardcore demonstrators and the police overnight.

Thousands of people linked arms to form human chains that stretched for miles along busy shopping streets and neighbourhoods on New Year’s Eve.

Later, protesters set fire to barricades in some parts of the city as the police launched 2020’s first volleys of tear gas and used water cannon to disperse the crowds.

The protest movement has become quieter since the city’s pro-democracy camp scored a landslide victory in a municipal-level vote in November — seen as a referendum on the Beijing-backed government — and violent clashes at some of the city’s university campuses.

But protesters have vowed to continue their fight for greater freedoms.

“Hong Kong people have been pushed to a hopeless situation. That’s why today we have to come out,” a masked protester said in a speech at the rally on Wednesday.

The unrest that began in June last year is the biggest crisis the former British colony has faced since its return to Chinese rule in 1997.

Under the terms of that handover, Hong Kong enjoys unique freedoms unseen on the mainland, but fears have increased in recent years that they are being chipped away as Beijing exerts more control over the territory.

– AFP

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

ST Mobile Aerospace featured in investigative documentary

In a follow-up to Flying Cheap, the hard-hitting investigation into major airlines’…

疫情、马国政局波动影响 多项大型交通项目未有定数

近日,由于受到武汉冠状病毒疫情与马国政局影响,我国许多重要的大型交通项目被迫暂停。原本在今年4月底会有所定夺的新柔地铁项目,如今也仍未有定数;多个大型交通项目包括樟宜机场第五搭客大厦的落成时间可能将受影响。 针对新柔地铁项目,基础建设统筹部长兼交通部长许文远今日(5日)在国会拨款委员会辩论交通部开支预算时表示,近期由于受到马国政坛动荡影响,因此新柔地铁项目仍未有定数,尽管我国致力于与马国合作,找出相对的解决方案,但不能无限期暂停。 新马两国须在今年4月30日前签订经修改的新柔地铁双边协定,以及SMRT企业与马来西亚国家基础建设公司关于成立合资公司的协定,和特许经营协定。 他续指,尽管仍有其他替补方案能够解决长堤阻塞的问题,如扩大关卡设施,或分布长堤与第二通道的流量,但新柔地铁仍是较适合的方案,能够明显看出成效。 马来西亚前交通部长陆兆福也曾指出,马国新任部长在上任后必须迫切处理新柔地铁系统(RTS)协议的课题,以便能在今年4月作出决定,让项目有所进展。 多项大型交通项目因供应链受影响,而可能延缓落成时间 除了新柔地铁项目仍未有定数,冠状病毒的疫情也打乱了许多大型项目的落成时间。许文远表示,武汉冠状病毒仍在全球肆虐,随着中国封城,全球供应链包括许多建筑设备和材料的供应均受影响。 因此,我国多个大型交通项目包括樟宜机场第五搭客大厦、大士港口、新地铁站及新一代公路电子收费系统的落成时间恐受影响。 “我们还在看这对我们的交通基础设施项目的影响。到目前为止,项目时间表的延迟还算可以应付。但若疫情持续,可能影响建筑设备和材料的供应。例如我们的新列车是在中国制造的。” 另一方面,许文远也指出交通运输业的影响甚大,首当其冲是樟宜机场。航空公司目前已取消超过20巴仙的航班,其乘客量也下跌了25巴仙,估计还会再进一步减少。游轮和渡轮生意也均受影响。 随着疫情蔓延,本地许多企业更愿意远程办公,随之受影响的就是本地交通运输如巴士和德士等。

Supply vessel Ocean Copper 2 sinks in Singapore waters

A Dominica-flagged supply vessel, Ocean Cooper 2, had capsized and sunk in the…

Google says YouTube campaign targeted Hong Kong protests

YouTube on Thursday said it disabled 210 channels that appeared to be…