Source: Tunku Idris/Instagram

Johor prince Tunku Idris Iskandar Sultan Ibrahim made waves across the Internet yesterday (29 Apr) as he posted Instagram Stories hinting at his intention to contest in the next Malaysian General Election (GE).

A report by Sin Chew Daily stated that the second son of Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar, who is the ruler of the southernmost state in Peninsular Malaysia, had posted an Instagram Story with the hashtag “#PRU15” alongside a poll, leaving viewers to choose between the constituencies of Muar and Mersing.

The majority of viewers who answered the poll chose Muar at 75 per cent, while the remaining 25 per cent opted for Mersing, reported Malay Mail.

Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman – who has also been in the spotlight for his soured relations with Tunku Idris and his brother Crown Prince Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim – currently holds the Muar parliamentary seat.

Malaysian netizens questioned Tunku Idris’ motive behind expressing his intention to run for either the constituency of Muar or Mersing as an MP, particularly in the wake of rising tensions between Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad and the Johor royal household over the issue of monarchical powers.

A number of netizens have subsequently argued against his suitability for the post, given that Tunku Idris is a member of the Johor royal household:

However, one commenter argued that there is no concrete reason as to why the Johorean prince should not be allowed to contest in the next GE15, as he does not hold the same powers as a Ruler such as a King or Sultan:

According to the Malaysian Election Commission (SPR)’s general guidelines for electoral candidates, there is no clear and explicit provision that prohibits royals from contesting for the post of an MP, as listed below:

Based on SPR’s guidelines, candidates are generally required to be:

  • Malaysian citizens residing in the Federation during the electoral period;
  • Be of not less than 21 years old on the date of announcement of running candidates.

Candidates may be disqualified from running in GEs or by-elections if they are:

  • Found to be “defective” in mind;
  • Found to have unresolved bankruptcy cases;
  • Found to hold a “salaried position”;
  • Found to have failed to produce a statement of expenses as required by law within the stipulated period of time;
  • Found to have been convicted by a court in the Federation (or before Malaysia Day, within the territories in Sabah and Sarawak or Singapore), and has been sentenced to no less than 1 year’s imprisonment or a fine of not less than RM2,000 and has not received pardon; or
  • Found to have obtained or used foreign citizenship, or have pledged allegiance to any foreign country.
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

1MDB: M’sia ex-PM Najib Razak found guilty of all seven charges in SRC International graft case

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA — The Kuala Lumpur High Court on Tuesday (28…

被要求把头巾取下 锡克教徒摄影师揭发遭无礼歧视

一名锡克教徒的摄影师,准备会见业务上的主办单位,但是代理商却要求他,可否在会面之前拆除头巾。 这名摄影师帕维达星(Parvitar Singh)昨日(7月20日)在脸书帖文,指出一名女代理人对他做出无礼和具种族歧视的要求。 他指出,他是因为业务需求而向一家代理商做出申请,但是代理人却将他的头巾暗喻为“杂物”,并希望他将头巾取下。当帕维达星表示无法取下时,代理表示“不确定这样是否会引起发起人的不满”。 帕维达星则反驳女代理,我国宪法下保障的公民权益,包括允许他作为新加坡公民,戴着头巾生活和工作。他之后也表示会就此事报警,确保不会再有人因此而被歧视。 很多评论者对他的经历表示震惊,并且赞成他报警之举。 他之后在昨日下午2时发帖跟新情况,表示他已经寻求法律途径,并要求相关公司的发起人在24小时内道歉,并交代会对女代理所采取的行动。 接着在晚上10时许,帕维达星再次帖文跟新有关事项,他表示相关公司已和他取得联系,已经着手调查此事,希望他能够给予多些时间和空间。 对此,帕维达星指出,他在过去五年一直都积极参与信仰活动,并致力于建立更团结的社会,让社会中的各种族和宗教团体彼此了解。 他表示,此次事件让他想起了在成为锡克教徒后,面对了不少的歧视、种族主义和偏见。“作为新加坡的少数民族,从来都不是容易的事,甚至有人针对我的头巾说事。” 他强调,公布有关事件并没为了针对任何人或公司,旨在提醒民众我国仍然有这些歧视现象出现,因此选择不透露公司和代理名字。他并不希望有关帖文导致相关单位或人士被抹黑,或影响他们的生活、生计,甚至是家人。“我坚信给予第二次机会、救赎和宽恕。” 他也感谢民众所给予的支持和鼓励,甚至给予他可采取行动的建议。“让我们一起携手捍卫和平、团结的新加坡。”

Mother of Dinesh Raman files statement of claims against S’pore government

By Andrew Loh – The mother of a former prison inmate has…

NTU, SMU to implement changes in handling sexual harassment on campuses

In the wake of criticisms against the National University of Singapore (NUS)…