smrtbusandtrain

SMRT Corp says the remuneration of its president and chief executive office, Desmond Kuek, “is benchmarked to peer companies” and that it “is competitive and at a responsible level.”

Kuek
Kuek

Mr Kuek’s remuneration has been the target of criticisms since the company released its annual report on Monday.

In it, Mr Kuek’s salary was reported to be in the range of between S$2.25 million and S$2.5 million.

This is a multifold increase in just three years.

The former chief of defence force was roped in to head SMRT in October 2012, where he is reported to have been paid S$611,000 for the first six months.

With his new salary range, Mr Kuek is now the highest-paid SMRT CEO the company has ever employed.

His predecessor, Saw Phaik Hwa, who quit amidst widespread unhappiness over service standards, was drawing S$1.85 million at the time.

It was then a record pay scale in SMRT, which was in turn a hike over the previous record of S$1.67 million she received in 2010.

The Straits Times reported on Thursday that Mr Kuek’s salary is also higher than his counterpart at rival transport group, ComfortDelgro, which is a “significantly larger company” compared to SMRT Corp.

Mr Kua Hong Pak, the CEO of ComfortDelgro, was paid between S$1.75 million and S$2 million.

The CEO of SBS Transit, Gan Huay Kiat, received much less than Mr Kuek.

Mr Gan was paid between $500,000 to S$750,000.

Tan
Tan

SMRT Corp director, Tan Ek Kia, told the Straits Times that Mr Kuek’s remuneration package was comparable to those of other “peer companies”.

He also said that “the new CEO’s tasks were more daunting than before.”

Mr Kuek had said in another interview earlier this week that SMRT has “made tremendous progress on many fronts” but that there “is much more to be done to improve rail reliability.”

In December 2014, the TODAY newspaper reported that the number of major MRT delays had hit “a four-year high”.

Read also:

CEOs’ remunerations under fire”.

“SMRT CEO paid $2.2m to $2.5m – a multifold jump in three years?”

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Open debate

To be able to speak to so many lawyers without you being…

【冠状病毒19】11例入境分别来自印度、印尼和菲律宾

昨日(12日)新增42例确诊病例,包括11例入境病例。其中患者分别从印度、印度尼西亚和菲律宾入境新加坡。 根据卫生部文告,在11例入境病例中,两名为本地人,分别在7月3日和30日,从印度和印度尼西亚返新;另四起为家属准证持有者,在7月28日和31日从印度入境我国;以及四名工作准证持有者,分别于7月29日和31日从菲律宾和印度抵达我国。 最后一起入境病例则是一名持特别准证的菲律宾籍水手,他在本月8日乘船从印度入境新加坡。他9日出现症状后,在船上接受冠病检测,并一直待在船上直到检测呈阳性后,被送往医院。 所有入境病例在抵达我国后,开始履行14天居家通知,并在隔离期间接受冠病检测,仅有一人出现症状。 除了入境病例,昨日也检测出唯一一例社区病例,即58岁本地男子,与早前确诊的病例有所关联,并在早前接受隔离,隔离期间接受冠病检测。 截至昨日,我国累计病例增至5万5395起。昨日新增392人出院或离开社区隔离设施,使康复人数达5万0520人。目前仍有4756人在社区设施接受隔离或护理,92人仍在住院,没有病患在加护病房。死亡人数维持在27人。

ST letter in response to China worker jailed for 10 weeks

Ensuring procedural justice will go much further in ensuring worker justice and public order.

Singapore ranked as one of the 10 worst countries in tackling inequality

Singapore is one of the worst performing countries in the world at…