Source: The Star Online

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA — The country’s anti-graft body on Friday (30 July) cleared former Prime Minister Najib Razak’s ex-public relations adviser and an Umno lawyer respectively of money laundering charges made against them in connection to controversial state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).

The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) in a statement today said that Paul Geoffrey Stadlen, a United Kingdom national, has agreed to return a sum of RM7,192,873.84 after reaching a settlement.

MACC said that the funds will be transferred to 1MDB’s trust account.

Consequently, the commission said that it will drop its case against the former head of Apco.

The firm was reportedly paid large sums to promote pro-government campaigns during Najib’s tenure.

Stadlen was previously charged with two counts of money laundering amounting to RM15 million.

The first entailed ordering payments of RM8,111,322.43 from illegal activities to be paid via 27 transactions from Umno legal adviser Hafarizam Harun’s law firm’s client account to individuals and companies from June to December 2014.

The second involves the alleged ordering of payments of RM6,139,078.34 in proceeds from illegal activities via 16 transactions from the same client account to individuals and companies between January and August 2015.

His charge was made in the Sessions Court here on 20 February 2019 in absentia.

Stadlen reportedly left the country after the general election in 2018. An arrest warrant was issued for him in February the following year.

In a similar agreement with the MACC and the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC), charges against Hafarizam were dropped after the lawyer paid a compound of RM590,587.26, said MACC.

This followed an agreement an offer the lawyer had received on Wednesday to pay the compound. Hafarizam paid the amount yesterday, The Edge Markets reported.

He was accused of being directly involved in depositing RM11.5 million in illegal funds through two AmIslamic Bank Berhad cheques from Najib into his law firm’s client account.

The Sessions Court acquitted and discharged the lawyer from three charges made against him in relation to the payments.

Speaking at a press conference after the case was concluded, Hafarizam said that he had decided to pay the compound after being advised to do so by his lawyers.

Branding the charges against him as a form of “selective prosecution” by previous Attorney-General Tommy Thomas, the lawyer said that the money deposited into his law firm’s client account “was not for my benefit nor for the law firm”.

“Every sen that I received from my client is placed in the client account and would be withdrawn to third parties on the instruction of my client in the capacity as a stakeholder.

“These transactions are normal transactions for any law firm and are valid transactions and not illegal under the law,” he added.

Hafarizam also claimed that three lawyers who took the stand for the prosecution in the SRC International trial had admitted to receiving money into their client accounts based on their clients’ instructions, yet were not charged.

“The charges against me gave the [wrong] impression and affected other lawyers and those in the Malaysian Bar,” he said.

Subscribe
Notify of
2 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
You May Also Like

Two Malaysian former PMs, Tun M and Muhyiddin Yassin met up to establish cooperation for the Malay Proclamation agenda

Former Malaysian Prime Minister Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad met with Muhyiddin Yassin, the Chairman of the National Alliance, to collaborate on the Malay Proclamation agenda. This meeting, held on Tuesday (4 Jul) night, marks their first encounter since the Sheraton Move in 2020. The primary focus of the meeting was to advance the agenda of the movement and strengthen the position of the Malay community.

Malaysia Court of Appeal grants DPM Zahid permanent access to passports amid corruption case ongoing

Deputy Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi has been allowed by the Court of Appeal on Monday (27 Mar) to access to his personal and diplomatic passports to enable him to carry out official duties abroad. This comes after the previous rejection by the High Court on 3 Feb for the documents.

Drug trafficker escapes death sentence over reasonable doubt of mix-up in drug orders from supplier

60-year-old Han Fang Guan escaped the death sentence on Friday (28 February)…

Apex court reverses acquittal of nursing home worker of molestation charge in criminal reference, but reduces original jail term imposed

Initially found guilty of molestation by the district court and then acquitted…