fbpx

Community

“When the day is finished”

Kirsten Han / As a little girl (and even now), I loved listening to my grandfather’s stories of his childhood and old Singapore. In the telling of these stories, he would often mention his parents – how close he was to his mother and how the children were all intimidated by his father. I don’t know why, but it never actually …

Read More »

Lessons from Chiam See Tong

Chiam See Tong may belong to an older generation and the man may pass from the pages of Singapore’s history. But let us, the younger generation take to heart his deeds, and more importantly remember his lessons.

Read More »

Chiam See Tong – A voice for the voiceless

by: Teo Soh Lung/ Chiam See Tong first stood as an independent candidate in Cairnhill in 1976. As a young voter then, I made my way to Cairnhill to listen to his speech. Standing with a loudhailer beside his Volkswagen, he addressed a small crowd around him. His election banner with the symbol of a horse was strung between two …

Read More »

Indomitable Chiam See Tong: My improbable hero

by: Dr Huang Shoou Chyuan/ Introduction I have often been unkind to Mr Chiam See Tong. I have thought him too slow and too cautious in the renewal of his party. However his doggedness, irrepressible optimism in the face of the apparent all-powerful PAP juggernaut and his indomitable spirit has finally convinced me that his is the truly amazing Singapore …

Read More »

Take a Stand in Pink

Ho Rui An/ Pink Dot 2011 will be held on the 18 June, Saturday at Hong Lim Park. The event which celebrates the freedom of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) people to love is now in its third year and seeks to continue its mission in making Singapore a more inclusive and cohesive society. Last year, the event saw …

Read More »

For her son’s bright future

by Deborah Choo/   As I waited at the reception area of a shelter for domestic workers run by the Humanitarian Organization for Migration Economics (HOME), a pale and frail looking lady walked in with a companion. Her eyes were slightly swollen, her cheeks were stained with dried tears, and her hands and legs were covered with scars from allergic …

Read More »

“I think you need sex”, says employer

Deborah Choo/ Whenever Jasabelle (not her real name) forgot to do her chores, her employer would threaten to rape her. “Sir would say: ‘I think you need sex then you can start remembering the things you need to do.’” Jasabelle told TOC. The 24-year old Filipino foreign domestic worker begun working for her employers – a young couple in their …

Read More »

Charging for tap water – is it justifiable?

G Hui Singapore is an island surrounded by water. Rainfall is plentiful and the tap water is drinkable. There are established protected areas in urban rainwater catchments and estuaries which are used as fresh water reservoirs. There is also sea water desalination. In 2007, Singapore’s water and sanitation unit, the Public Utilities Board, received the Stockholm Industry Water Award in …

Read More »

Chen Show Mao – more than a SNAG!

Tan Meng Lee Yesterday (Sunday, 29 May 2011) was the Workers’ Party’s “Thank You Luncheon” for its volunteers at Ban Heng Restaurant at HarbourFront Centre (off Telok Blangah Road). Even though I only know a handful of the volunteers (that’s because I did so very little for WP after Nomination Day in Apr), there was an easy camaraderie with the rest of the …

Read More »