Singapore’s Changi Airport has reclaimed its title as the world’s best airport for the 12th time at the 2023 World Airport Awards, hosted by London-based research firm Skytrax. The airport also won best in Asia, best in the world for leisure amenities, and best in the world for airport dining at the ceremony held at the Passenger Terminal Expo in Amsterdam on Wednesday.
Hamad International Airport in Doha, Qatar, came in second place, followed by Haneda Airport in Tokyo, Japan.
Crowne Plaza Changi Airport secured the world’s best airport hotel title for the eighth consecutive year.
The awards were determined by a global survey conducted by Skytrax between August 2022 and February 2023, where travelers rated airports based on their experiences at various points, including check-in, arrival, shopping, security and immigration, and departure at the gate.
Changi Airport held the top spot for eight consecutive years from 2013 to 2020 but fell behind Hamad International Airport and Haneda Airport in 2021 and 2022.
Edward Plaisted of Skytrax congratulated Singapore Changi Airport on its 2023 win, noting that passenger numbers are now at about 80% of pre-Covid-19 levels and expected to return to pre-pandemic levels by 2024.
Lee Seow Hiang, CEO of Changi Airport Group, expressed gratitude for the recognition, crediting the airport community for their dedication and perseverance in battling the challenges of Covid-19 over the past two years. He also thanked passengers for their continued support and vote of confidence.
In a new award category for 2023, Skytrax introduced the Art in the Airport category, with Houston Airport System taking the top spot for the art standards across their two airports, William P. Hobby Airport and George Bush Intercontinental Houston Airport.
The World’s Top 20 Airports for 2023
- Singapore Changi Airport
- Hamad International Airport
- Tokyo International Airport (Haneda)
- Incheon International Airport
- Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport
- Istanbul Airport
- Munich Airport
- Zurich Airport
- Narita International Airport
- Madrid-Barajas Airport
- Vienna International Airport
- Helsinki-Vantaa Airport
- Rome Fiumicino Airport
- Copenhagen Airport
- Kansai International Airport
- Chubu Centrair International Airport
- Dubai International Airport
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Melbourne Airport
- Vancouver International Airport
The highest ranked Airports by passenger numbers in 2023 are:
- 60+ million passengers – Istanbul Airport
- 50 to 60 million passengers – Tokyo Haneda
- 40 to 50 million passengers – Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- 30 to 40 million passengers – Singapore Changi Airport
- 20 to 30 million passengers – Zurich Airport
- 10 to 20 million passengers – Incheon Airport
- 5 to 10 million passengers – Kansai International Airport
- Less than 5 million passengers – Centrair Nagoya Airport