KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA — In view of the continuous alarming spike in the number of daily COVID-19 cases in the country, the Malaysian government will be extending the movement control order (MCO) for two weeks until 18 February.
The MCO, which was enforced from 13 January to 26 January, had previously been extended until 4 February.
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said in a press conference on Tuesday (2 Feb) that all states will be placed under MCO except for Sarawak — which will be placed under conditional MCO.
Ismail Sabri, who is also the Defence Minister, stated that the decision was made under the advise of the Health Ministry, after the nation recorded high number of COVID-19 cases daily in all states.
“Following the spike in COVID-19 cases reported daily, National Security Council during its meeting today agreed to extend the MCO 2.0 enforced across the country from February 5 to Feb 18,” said the Minister.
Details of stricter measures will be released in due time, he added.