Yet another foreign worker dormitory has been declared as an isolation area by the Ministry of Health (MOH) after a new cluster of COVID-19 cases was identified there, bringing the total number of dormitories gazetted as isolation areas up to nine.
The Mandai Lodge 1 at 460 Mandai Road was gazetted as such to prevent “the spread or possible outbreak” of the deadly virus, with the notice coming into effect on Thursday (16 April).
Of the 447 new cases of COVID-19 announced by the MOH on Wednesday (15 April), 404 are from foreign worker dormitories while five are work permit holders who reside outside of the dormitories. On top of that, one of the new confirmed cases has been linked to six previously confirmed cases there, thus forming a new cluster at Mandai Lodge 1, according to the MOH.
Additionally, the MOH has also identified two new clusters at other foreign worker dormitories at 10 Kian Teck Crescent and 26 Kian Teck Avenue respectively.
On 12 April, the MOH declared Cochrane Lodge II as an isolation area, effective 13 April. Meanwhile, on Wednesday, an additional 11 cases were linked to the dormitory, bringing the total number of confirmed cases up to 46.
The seven other dormitories that have been gazetted as isolation areas include Cochrane Lodge I, Acacia Lodge, Tampines Dormitory, Sungei Tengah Lodge, S11 Dormitory @ Punggol, Westlite Toh Guan, and Toh Guan dormitory.
S11 @ Punggol and Sungei Tengah Lodge have the higher number of cases at 797 and 279 respectively, followed by Westlite Toh Guan Dormitory with 110 cases as of today.
Other dormitories and foreign worker housings with recorded cases but have not been designated as isolation areas include:
- Mustafa Centre: 87 cases in total
- Tuas View Dormitory: 43 cases in total
- 31 Sungei Kadut Avenue: 27 cases in total
- 36 Woodlands Industrial Park E1: 27 cases in total
- Renovation sites at the National University Hospital: 26 cases in total
- Shaw Lodge: 24 cases in total
- Tech Park Crescent dormitory: 19 cases in total
- North Coast Lodge: 18 cases in total
- PPT Lodge 1A: 18 cases in total
- Kranji Lodge: 17 cases in total
- Kenyon/ UBS construction site: 15 cases in total
- 21B Senoko Loop: 12 cases in total
- Westlite Woodlands dormitory: 10 cases in total
- Kranji Dormitory: nine cases in total
- Keppel Shipyard: eight cases in total
As of 15 April, the MOH has confirmed and verified an additional 447 cases of COVID-19 infection in the country, bringing the total up to 3,699 cases. There have also been 10 fatalities due to complications relating to the virus.