PSA Marine worker found dead near Riau island

A Singaporean man who was reported to be missing after falling during his working hours on Friday at Banyan Basin, off Jurong Island, near the Riau Island was found on Friday (23 December) and confirmed to be an employee of PSA Marine.

The body of the man was found by local fishermen. He was wearing black trousers and a white shirt with “PSA Marine” written on it and boots.

An ID card was also found with the name Ilzam bin Odit, born on 8 September 1963. The ID card said the man lived in Sengkang, Singapore.

Karimun regency is located 50 kilometers southwest of Singapore and can be reached in 105-minutes by ferry from the city-state.

Karimun Police water police unit head First Inspector Sahata Sitorus said on Saturday (24 December) that the body had been admitted to the Muhammad Sani General Hospital to undergo a post-mortem examination.

Mr Sahata told The Jakarta Post, “We have yet to identify the cause of the death and why the body was floating in the Karimun Anak water,” adding that the man was estimated to have been floating for around two days.

 PSA spokesperson told reporters that after the report of the missing man was lodged PSA Marine and the relevant Government agencies were conducted search and rescue immediately. However, he was not found until a body matching Mr Ilzam’s description was discovered in Karimun on Friday and subsequently identified as Mr Ilzam.

The spokesperson said, “PSA Marine’s management extends its deepest condolences to Mr Ilzam Odit’s family and will continue to work with the relevant Government agencies to provide assistance and support to his family.”

“PSA Marine would like to thank the Indonesian and Singaporean agencies for their assistance in the recovery and return of the body to Mr Ilzam Odit’s family,” the spokesperson said.

PSA added that the incident was under investigation. Therefore, declined to give any further comments.

In response to Channel NewsAsia’s email query, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) spokesman said, “Our Consulate in Batam is in touch with the Indonesian authorities over this incident and is providing the necessary consular assistance to the family.”

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments