Hongkong netizens are up in arms, voicing their displeasure about the deportation of Joshua Wong and commented that it is disgraceful for the Thai authorities to succumb to influence by the China authorities.
Joshua Wong, a prominent youth activist from the Yellow Umbrella movement in Hongkong was detained in Thailand following a request from China and subsequently flown back to Hong Kong.
Nathan Law, LegCo member and chairperson of Demosistō, condemned the act. Just this year, Law was elected at the age of 23 to serve as a legislator from the Hong Kong Island geographic constituency, making him the youngest lawmaker in the history of the Hong Kong Legislative Council.
Upon Joshua’s detention, Law held a press conference.
The Party then scheduled a protest against the detention which was held at Kim Jong Sea Fu centre assemble on 1 pm local time.
Nathan said that in Thailand, the Thai embassy did not allow protestors to enter. The police displayed yellow warning sign.
Fortunately, Joshua had arrived home safely. He and Nathan held a short interview at the airport.
At 8 pm local time, Joshua, accompanied by his fellow Demosistō’s, held a press conference which explained what he had to go through.
The Network of Young Democratic Asians presents solemn protest to the Thai government. It said that the Thai government had violated Joshua Wong’s personal security and freedom of movement by detaining him in the absence of any legal reason.
“The Network of Young Democratic Asians believes that Thai Government’s decision is a serious violation of human rights. We strongly condemn the Chinese government’s oppression of the democratic movement in Hong Kong as well,” it wore.
Netizens voiced their concerns on the issue :
- Wanchan Kiriwong wrote, “Not all Thai are dictators.We also fight for freedom as well. So sad for what junta did to you. Hope you are safe and keep fighting for democracy. We are friends.”
- Minz Cheng wrote, “Chinese government’s act is so shameless. See, now more people know the ugly side of the chinese communist. Many thailand people support Joshua too. Joshua Wong, keep fighting! Your right direction will wake up more and more people in the world to support democracy! And speak out the truth and say NO to evil autocratic and communist government!”
- Paul Lee wrote, “Keep up your great work. Hopefully, freedom and democracy will arrive in Honk Kong and Mainland communist China soon. Then everyone will live in harmony together.”
- Bill McMann wrote, “Josh, there’s nothing wrong with you! It exhibited your intelligence and evidenced the other related parties are totally and completely foolish + stupid.”
- Stephen Bolton wrote, “Ga yau! Beijing is scared – as they should be. Beijing is a pack of bullies and cowards, and they secretly know that they suck. Keep challenging them. The world is watching, and what they see from you is more admirable than what they see from the CCP.”
- Chan Ho Yeung wrote, “China is fucking interfering affairs around the world! China is a extreme busybody! There is no point in urging other countries to deny access to anyone!”
- Ada Cheung wrote, “The bookseller disappeared from Thailand. That’s the first time. CCTV videos shows that the bookseller was kidnapped by Thai people (not wearing any Thai police uniform). This is the second time. It shows that Thai government is controlled by China government. And it will do any dirty jobs upon CCP’s request. If it happens the third time, I think Thailand is no more a safe place to the people in the world. I’ll request all people to boycott Thailand (including tourist, products, restaurants……) for its corruption and dictatorship.”
- Pavarit L Songsomboon wrote, ” In the name of Thai people, I feel sorry for you, our china-puppet gov has gone too far. God bless you, Joshua.”
- Jacqueline Liu wrote, “Thai government is too useless, gotta rely on PRC communist government(lack of independence)!”