The National Transport Workers’ Union (NTWU) stated in a media release on Monday (19 September) that it had filed an appeal to the management of SMRT against the dismissal of its two drivers.
Mr Melvin Yong, NTWU’s executive secretary, said, ‘We have raised further queries relating to the incident in our appeal to the company.’
He also said that the union will continue to provide necessary support and assistance to the affected employees while waiting for the company’s response.
Last week, NTWU had written to SMRT to withhold any action against the affected workers until completion of official investigations so as to not prejudice the outcome.
The incident took place on 22 March where the two victims, Mr Nasrulhudin Najumudin, 26, and Mr Muhammad Asyraf Ahmad Buhari, 24, were tasked to examine a signaling condition monitoring device along the tracks near Pasir Ris MRT Station, along with a joint engineering team.
The two SMRT maintenance workers were hit by an oncoming train while they walked onto the tracks for their on-the-job training.
Mr Rahmat Mohd, 49, the train driver involved in the accident in March, had been assigned to a non-driving job after the accident. According to The Straits Times, he was called to the SMRT office on 13 September for an internal inquiry and discharged straight afterward.