Subject: Be Patriotic and get a partner!
Message Classification: Restricted
My fellow Singaporeans,
1. I am speaking to you from what used to be NOL building. As Singapore’s national shipping line, NOL played a significant role in spurring the growth of Singapore’s economy. The 26-storey building stood proudly with its brand name displayed at the top. Today what remains is a blank wall with a faint outline of the NOL logo. It is a reminder to us Singaporeans that we live in competitive and unpredictable times.
2. We celebrate National Day against a backdrop of regional competition. Our economy grew 2.2 per cent in the second quarter of 2016, which certainly sounds decent until we take into account how everyone else is doing. China grew by 6.7 per cent in the second quarter, while India grew by 7.9 per cent. And it is not just the big players: Malaysia, our favourite neighbour, grew by 4.9 per cent in the first quarter. It is uncertain that we can stay ahead of the game.
3. In order to stay ahead of the game, Singapore must work harder. Each and every Singaporean needs to do his or her part and work harder. Competition will intensify, but you will be rewarded for your hard work in due time.
4. The Singapore system facilitates a push for excellence. We succeed when you do your part. And it is fair that, we give the most to those who contribute the most.
5. Staying ahead of the game allows you to be in the world, but not of the world. There is no need to worry about MRT delays (or wait for the MRT to be nationalized-without-calling-it-nationalization) – if you can afford to drive or be driven.
6. There is no need for you or your partner to be concerned about foreign talent from China, India, and even the Philippines, stealing your job – if you yourselves are talented and capable.
7. There is no need to be anxious about the rising costs of raising children – if you and your spouse have sufficient money for it. This is the system of meritocracy that our nation has been built upon.
8. Singapore has gotten to where it was today because of a mind-set of excellence. Our founding fathers ensured that only the most qualified and most deserving people made it into the team. There was no room for mediocrity or failure.
9. Each and every Singaporean has much to learn from the direction our nation has taken. We need to ask ourselves if we have the correct mind-set and vision. And we need to ask ourselves if we have the correct people on board: Are we with people who can bring out the best in us?
10. But take care not to work too hard. Success for a nation is not measured by GDP alone. Likewise, life is more than just the number of zeroes in your bank account. What is the point of making so much money if you have no one to spend it with? A life solely fixated on work is a sad, lonely, and wretched one. There has to be more to life than just work and more work.
11. Go out there and have fun. Meet someone special and fall in love. Do your part for your country and have kids. More importantly, do it for yourself. You need children who have the means to look after you when you grow up. You don’t want to die alone.
12. Let us stand together, stay ambitious and work toward a better future. The best is yet to be!
13. Happy National Day from our team here at Ivory!
Ivory touts itself as Asia’s first Invite-Only Dating App, and is set to launch in Singapore in December 2016. The anonymous developers of the app say it is for the ambitious and the high-achievers, but many criticized it for being an app for those elites on the ivory tower.