Lim Chu Kang Lane 8 where the remains, believed to be that of Ms Cui, were discovered. Photo:

48-yr-old man arrested for alleged murder of a 31-year-old female

A 48-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the death of a 31-year-old female, Ms Cui Yajie, said the Singapore Police in a statement on Wednesday (July 20).

Ms Cui Yajie, 31, an engineer, was last seen on July 11 at 9.15pm wearing a black blouse and green skirt around Fusionopolis Walk at one-north in Buona Vista on July 11.

When She did not show up for work the next day, her colleagues felt something was amiss, and after two days reported her disappearance to the police, informing them that Ms Cui had not reported for work since July 12.

A police news release was issued On July 15, appealing for information on the whereabouts of Ms Cui.

As there were suspicious circumstances relating to the case, officers from the police’s Clementi Division, as well as those from the Criminal Investigation Department and Police Intelligence Department, were engaged to conduct investigative probes and enquiries.

The investigations led to them establishing the identity of a 48-year-old suspect, who was subsequently arrested on Wednesday. On that same day, the suspect also led police to Lim Chu Kang Lane 8 where the remains, believed to be that of Ms Cui, were discovered.

The suspect will be charged in Court on Thursday for murder. If convicted, the suspect could face the death penalty.

Last night, the site at Lim Chu Kang was heavily cordoned off by the police, as officers armed with flashlights and cameras worked to recover the remains of the body.

A Health Sciences Authority forensics team joined them later but left at about 1am, and an autopsy will be conducted to determine the victim’s identity.


A woman believed to be a colleague had posted an appeal for witnesses on Tuesday online.

According to the post, Ms Cui works as an engineer at a semiconductor company. She was described as a cheerful and warm person who makes friends easily.

The 1.6m-tall woman from Tianjin, China, was wearing a black blouse and a green skirt when she went missing. She had stayed back at work until 9pm. She did not arrive home or go to work the next day.

Ms Cui’s family, who is in China, is reported on the way to Singapore.