A recruit from the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) committed suicide at National Service Training Institute, Civil Defence Academy this morning.
(REC) Edwin Ong Koon Chwee was from the 139 Intake, Charlie company. He jumped from the 4th floor of his dormitory block and was found dead between 3 and 4am.
The recruit had just enlisted into SCDF on Tuesday earlier this week.
SCDF has since released a statement on Edwin's death on its Facebook page. It said that SCDF is providing all necessary assistance to the family during this difficult time. The Director of the NSTI has spoken to the family and reiterated SCDF’s support to them during this time of bereavement.
The Police are currently investigating REC Ong’s death.
Prior to the incident, the recruit posted a lengthy post on his facebook account.
We will update more on this story when SCDF releases more details on the recruit's death.
- Samaritans of Singapore (SOS) – 1800-221-4444
- National Family Service Centre – 1800-2220000
- Singapore Association for Mental Health – 1800-283-7019
- Care Corner Mandarin Counselling Centre – 1800-353-5800
- Touchline (Touch Youth Service) – 6273 5568
- Tinkle Friend: Children – 1800-274-4788 on weekdays