Taiwan politician arrested by police ahead of historical China-Taiwan meeting

Today will be the historical meeting between the leaders of China and Taiwan. The first meeting since China’s civil war in 1949.

It has been reported by Taiwan’s media, Taiwan Solidarity Union’s candidate, Xiao Ya Tan who arrived in Singapore yesterday ahead of the meeting, was arrested by the Singapore Police along with 3 other individuals this morning at 7am.

Photo taken in the police car.

Xiao is accompanied by the 3 other individuals in his trip to Singapore and the group stayed in two separate hotels. All 3 have also been taken into custody for investigation at Cantonment Police Complex.

Photo of Xiao taken in front of the security check-point (Photo: Xiao’s administrative office)

Xiao was said to have taken a photo in front of the Shangri-la hotel with his candidacy vest and had the intention of disrupting of the meeting between the two.

Xiao has earlier pointed that the Taiwan government under Ma’s leadership is of “guarding” nature, Ma is a “watchman” president, reflecting the old public opinion and not the new, and he has no qualification to represent Taiwanese.

He also said that he agree that both sides should engage in dialog but strongly question the choice of representation, and feels that the task should not be performed by Ma. There should be a wait for a new president to be elected via the new public opinion before the dialog between the leaders from the two sides to proceed.

Besides this, the timing of the dialog is too close to the timing of the Presidential election and overly sensitive, which makes it hard for anyone to believe that this has nothing to do with the election.

Xiao also added that the dialog should not be a one time off meeting, due to the dismayed election result by the National People’s Party (KMT) and should have no connection between which is the ruling party. The dialog should be routinized and become a common affair as a country to country activity.

Just earlier, angry protesters tried to storm the Taiwan’s parliament prior to the meeting. 100 protesters tried to storm the parliament, carrying “Taiwan independence” banners and shouted slogans. The protest was eventually stopped by police through overwhelming the protesters with numbers and dispersed the crowd. There were no arrests made.