Singapore Democratic Party’s press release on the publication of a new book of its Secretary-General Chee Soon Juan in end March.
The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) is proud to announce the publication of a new book about party Secretary-General Chee Soon Juan. The book, entitled, Thinker Teacher Rebel Why? Portraits of Chee Soon Juan is a set of reflections on Dr Chee.
This book looks at the SDP leader through the eyes of others; from activists, doctors, politicians, writers and artists who bring together a complete view of the man and his political journey.
Dr Chee has been tireless in advocating democracy for Singapore. Against overwhelming odds in an authoritarian state, his steadfastness and resolve to speak truth to power has been inspiring to many in Singapore and beyond. Because of his efforts, the Singaporean state has gone out of its way to launch a concerted political attack on Dr Chee’s person and character.
This book presents the real side of the SDP leader the Singaporean public seldom reads and hears about.
In this publication, 10 distinguished authors have come together to tell us the Dr Chee they know:
- Mr Joshua Chiang, activist, illustrator, and ex-editor of The Online Citizen (online news site).
- Ms Jaslyn Go, former activist and executive committee member of SDP.
- Dr Leong Yan Hoi, medical doctor and healthcare advisor to SDP.
- Constance Singam, writer, activist, and former president of the Association for Women’s Action, Research and Education.
- Mr Sam Rainsy, Minority Leader of the Cambodian Parliament and former finance minister.
- Professor Paul Tambyah, medical specialist and healthcare advisor to SDP.
- Dr Tan Lip Hong, medical doctor and healthcare advisor to SDP.
- Sir Graham Watson former Member of the European Parliament and former leader of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe.
- Dr Wong Souk Yee, lecturer, playwright, author and ex-ISA detainee.
- Dr Wong Wee Nam, medical doctor, political commentator and healthcare advisor to SDP.
SDP Chairman Mr Jeffrey George says, “This book serves a dual purpose of putting forward a truthful portrait of Dr Chee which is long overdue as well as to raise funds for the party’s campaign for the next elections.”
The book will be launched on 28 March 2015, Saturday. It will be available online as well as through direct sales. The book will also be available in major bookstores in Singapore.