Mohamad Fadzly Aziz, a full-time national serviceman, was sentenced to two months jail and three strokes of the cane by the court on Friday on charges of committing vandalism in a public area last year.
Fadzly, 21, is the second of four persons arrested to be charged with committing the offence on a pavement outside Sunshine Plaza in Prinsep Link in November 2013.
On 7 August, Muhammad Qamarul Arifin Sa'adon, 23, received the same sentence as Fadzly for the act of vandalising public property.
Fadzly had admitted to police that he had kept a look-out as Qamarul spray-painted the words, “WE ARE ONE WE ARE LEGION EXPECT US”.
Similarly-worded slogans were sprayed on a nearby pillar, and the logo of their friend’s clothing line – TSK – was also spray-painted on the pavement of a taxi stand in Waterloo Street.
Two charges over these were taken into consideration by the court in sentencing.
Muhammad Fitri Abu Kasim, 25, was given a discharge not amounting to an acquittal plus a conditional warning for the same charges.
The case against Danial Ryan Salleh is pending a pre-trial conference.
It was Danial, a freelance disc jockey, who had told the group that he had received a call from someone in Switzerland who claimed to be a member of the “hacktivist” group, Anonymous.
Danial said he was told to spray-paint a message to show his support for Anonymous’ fight against the Singapore Government.
Eventually, the group went and bought the spray paint. It was Qamarul who did the actual act of spray-painting, while Fadzly, Danial and Fitri acted as look-outs.
Separately, Fadzly and 26-year old Muhammad Redzwan Baskin were each given a discharge not amounting to an acquittal for defacing a wall and a pavement at *Scape in Orchard Road.
Under Singapore’s Vandalism Act, first-time offenders face a jail term of up to three years or a fine of up to S$2,000, as well as between three and eight strokes of the cane.
The sentences against the group:
Prinsep Link vandalism, 4 November 2013:
- Mohamad Fadzly Aziz, 21 – 2 months 3 strokes
- Muhammad Qamarul Arifin Sa'adon, 23 – 2 months 3 strokes / fined $500 on another charge of stealing a $48 pouch at a Beach Road food centre.
- Danial Ryan Salleh, 25 - Case pending, pre-trial conference
- Muhammad Fitri Abu Kasim, 25 - discharge not amounting to an acquittal plus a conditional warning for the same charges.
Waterloo Street taxi stand and nearby pillar
- Two charges over these were taken into consideration
*Scape – defaced wall and pavement
- Mohamad Fadzly Aziz, 21 –a discharge not amounting to an acquittal
- Muhammad Redzwan Baskin, 26 - a discharge not amounting to an acquittal