Pertapis held its flagday for its Pertapis’s Children Home on last Saturday to raise funds for its annual operating expenses.
The Pertapis Children’s Home was established in 1991 as a gazetted home and a place of Safety under the Children and Young Persons Act. The home aims to provide a safe environment and a holistic developmental of the children. Children admitted are from the age of 4 to 12 years old.
The operation of the home is based on Guidelines on Standards of Care for Children Homes. The cases are those referred by the Juvenile Court, Family Service Centres or the Ministry of Social & Family Development (MSF)
A total of over 600 volunteers spread out in force from 5 different locations in Singapore; Ang Mo Kio Mrt, Jurong East Mrt, Expo Mrt, Pasir Ris Mrt and the Pertapis Headquarters in Joo Chiat.
Apart from students from various schools such as Greeview Secondary, Bartley Secondary, Raffles Insitute and Hwa Chong High School took part in the flagday as part of their Community Involvement Programme (CIP) to help out the NGO, many members of the general public also took part in the fund raising. Benjamin Pwee, chairman of Pwee Foundation was also there with his family and volunteers of the foundation at the flagday to solicit for donations.
[slider_pro id=”3″] Each year, the non-government organization need to spend about 1.5 million on operating expenses of the children home. Out of the operating expenses, 60% is supported by the government while the rest of the 40% will have to be raised by the NGO in its fund raising activities or donations for kind-hearted individuals or organizations.
It is unknown how much was collected from the full day of street collection as the NGO states that the amount is still under audit and they will only disclose to the National Social of Social Service (NCSS).
For interested donors, you might visit the Pertapis website for more information to get to know how to donate or even volunteer in their programmes.